Ferris 61" Pro Cut Z 25 HP Kohler

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Guzman Properties, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Help!!!!!!:hammerhead:

I recently purchased a 2000 Ferris 61" Pro Cut Z 25 HP Kohler

When I picked the unit up the engine was running very rough, hardly enough power to get up onto trailer. The throttle was set at full, but would only goto half throttle.

I have cleaned the unit up, changed oil, oil filter, oil breather, fuel filter and spark plugs. Replaced fuel lines (cracked) and voltage regulator. I went through the electrical schematics and the wiring was all messed up. Seat switch was jumped and set to ground, I do not know why. I guess with that "jump" it caused an electrical short and wires were rerouted. I have replaced all wires to their original settings and replaced the "safety interlock" with the new replacement from Ferris (since the old one had a problem with the Kohler motor). I replace the ignition switch, electric clutch switch and the seat switch. All electrical safety switches are working correctly. (as far as I can tell)

The engine still runs at half throttle. When I remove the air cleaner you can see a lot of extra fuel spitting out of the carb at full throttle. Without the air filter and cover the engine rpm's increase, but still not to full throttle.

The electric clutch will not engage, and the unit shits off when you attempt to.

I removed each spark plug wire (OUCH) to see if there was a dead cylinder, and the unit continues to run.

What is the problem? What is causing the unit to stay at half throttle? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!:clapping:

2. futureballpro33

futureballpro33 LawnSite Member

How old is the gas? And is does that have a hydro pump to drive it?

3. Guzman Properties

I drained all the old gas out of the two tanks and bowl. I replaced with new gas. It has two hydro pumps which seem to be working. At low idle the motor runs and the hydros operate getting the unit around. If I turn on the blade engagement switch (replaced with a new one) it does not have enough power to keep the blades running and shuts off.

4. futureballpro33

Do you have a cold start system were you can disengage the hydro pumps from the belt? And drain your hydrolic fluid and then see because if the pumps have something rong they can like bowg down the engine! Clean your carb out to. And I would think it is an electric start right? Possibly you may have the rong spark plugs in it. Unlikly but you never know and what are they gapped to? Normally 4 stroke is about 30 thousands.

5. futureballpro33

Ohh did you check the carb and see if it is opening all the way and letting all the air in .

6. Guzman Properties

Hydros start working when engine starts, I do not know of any disengage of the pumps.

I am ordering the hydro filters and fluid and will drain the system. What type of oil do I use?

I have cleaned out the carb and dropped the bowl as well. Cleaned everything.

Spark plugs were replaced and gapped with new ones. (same number that was there)

Carb is opening all the way as throttle goes up.

P8050136 (Small).JPG

7. futureballpro33

Umm I would go to your local store to see what kind of hydrologic fluid. What is your compression? Are both silenders firing? What is the magneto set to?

8. futureballpro33

Take off thwe muffiler to and see if it is dirty. If there is a start resister it could be dirty and needs to be cleaned. How is the cutch for the blades and belts?

9. futureballpro33

Is your coolant system working right?

10. futureballpro33

And it could be something electrical to.