Ferris Blades Won't Engage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by superbee, May 9, 2009.

1. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

Yesterday, I could not get the blades to engage in my IS1500z. I could hear the clicking noise as I pulled the PTO button up (so I guess the wiring is o.k.) but nothing happened. Any ideas on what is wrong? Thanks.

2. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Not trying to be smart but did you check and make sure the belt is on?
    DAMHIKIJK

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is there like a hissing noise coming from it when you pull the PTO? If there is, the air gap is probably too uch, and if it is a common model, needs to be replaced (older ones were adjustable). There will be 3 bolts on the front plate in a triangular pattern if it is adjustable.

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

That is a good question. I had the belt jump on my 1500 and when i went to engage only heard clicking.

5. Mondragon Lawn Serv

Mondragon Lawn Serv LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

this happened to me too but i took it in to my dealer and it was fixed that same day i forgot what he said it was. i think he said something that helps recharge the battery,(cuz battery would die we would jump start and it will work for a while and then it would die), that had to be cleaned since dust would get to it easily. i'll call him up and see what he says so that i can help you

6. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

It is probably your PTO CLUTCH. The gap is probably too great for the clutch to engage. Or...your battery might be getting old and low on amps. A PTO pulls a decent amount of amps from the battery when engaged. On my IS1000Z, the PTO was shutting the mower off. I replaced the battery and all was good.

7. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

Thanks. This makes sense since I have had some trouble with the battery going dead. I'll get a new battery and give it a try.