Ferris Comfort DD 61" Hydro Speed question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CTmower, Apr 13, 2008.

1. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Just played around with my new mower yesterday and notice something strang about the speed of the mower.. The last ferris i owned had the joystick type speed control where you just pushed it all the way forward and you reached your top speed. But with my new mower i push the forward control lever forward all the way and it doesnt reach its top speed. I then have to push down both speed override controls to get it up to top speed and hold those two levers with my thumb to keep it at that speed. Am i missing something here or is this just the way the new ferris mowers are???

2. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe the mower just needs an adjustment? That would be the first thing I would look at.

3. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

So your saying there should be a adjustment as to how fast i can set my top speed?? That would definitely make sense, now if i can only determine what to adjust.. Ill have to take a look at it in the morning.. As of right now i would say its a crawl, it definitely moves along but i can get it going top speed by pushing the thumb levers all the way down.

4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Adjust the forward speed control- it is most likely just like the older ferris's Back the rod out which would put more pressure on the hydros when pushed to top spead. OR Take it back to the dealer and let them setup the mower CORRECTLY- seems they didn't do it in the first place.
    Joel