1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris commercial lawnmowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassWorx, May 23, 2001.

1. GrassWorx

GrassWorx LawnSite Member

I was looking into buying a ferris commercial walk-behind and was wondering if any of you guys have tried them out. All pros- cons will be appreciated.

thanks for your input
  2. casey

casey Guest

No floating deck. Confusing controls. Built to last. Don't get one.
  3. steve

steve LawnSite Member

:confused: 1- They have a 52" & 61" Floating Deck
    :cool: 2- Easy Controls
    :D 3- Built Strong
    :blob3: 4- DO Get One
  4. casey

casey Guest

Correction no floating 36 or 48. Doing mainly residentials I don't go bigger. Harder to learn than ECS or T Bar.
  5. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

Ferris builds a very bulletproof and very heavy duty hydro. And yes they do haev floating decks.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the feris i looked at was under the name yardly
    it was built very heavy duty
  7. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

If you don't know what your talking about please don't reply to a thread. Especially when it has to do with making a buying decision.

"No floating deck. Confusing controls. Built to last. Don't get one."

How smart of a answer is that? Did that REALLY help his decision?

When was the last time you owned one of these units? When was the last time you worked on one of these units? How many of them have you owned? How many hours do you have invested in them?

Harder to learn for who? You or the next guy? In my experience I could put any number of new employees on a Ferris unit and they could operate the machine.

I owned a number of Ferris units in my days. Very stong mowers, easy to service, and easy to operate. IMHO.

Just make sure you have good dealer support GrassWorx

Chuck Keough
  8. GrassWorx

GrassWorx LawnSite Member

the dealers is giving me a good deal on these mowers. I was just scared about purchasing one because i have never heard of them. thanks for all replies they are vert helpful.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris has been building mowers for a while now. They were the first company to make a hydro walkbehind. I had a 1990 Woods (a license built Ferris) 36" up until last year. It was the hydro transaxle model. It was built like a brick outhouse. I was at the Ferris dealer Tuesday and they are still building this mower and it is almost identical. These mowers will go up and down hills that would scare a billygoat. Side to side on hills leaves a litle to be desired because they have a high center of gravity.
  10. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Their 61" walkbehind looks like it has a really wide stance and could hug a hill. I've never used one but you can tell by looking at them that they are built tough. Russ