ferris dd help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Jan 22, 2008.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I asked this question a few months back, but its gettin close to buying time. I need to know whether I should get the 25 or 19 hp. I will be using a sulky with the unit. I was quoted at 5999 for the 2007 ferris 25 hp. I think the other dealer had told me 4799 on the 2007 ferris 19hp. Should I spend the extra money and get the 25 hp or is the 19 hp enough?

Thanks for the help.
  2. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

How much do you weigh and what are the mowing conditions you would be using it in? I had an older ferris 48" that only had the 12.5 or something and it pulled me (155lbs) well and cut well. I really didnt have much trouble with low hp bogging bc I tried not to let the grass get too tall but I would want more hp than that on my next wb. Alot of guys on here go all out on hp but for the $1k you could buy other stuff or save it. A nice new 19hp kawi would work excellent for me though and I know a DD would have no problem pulling.
  3. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

1st - what size DD-
    2nd- ask the other dealer for the price on the 25hp model
    3rd- go to havener enterprises web site and purchase a 2 wheel trailing sulky- the best sulky I have put on any machine (bar none)

61" go with the 25hp
    52" I have 2 of these mowers 1- 15hp/ 1-17hp both get the job done yet do bog quite a bit in thicker grass- I would like more hp - I have 2 -54" hustler w/b with 25hp on both and at times I would still like more hp
    let us know
  4. touhey33

Well i guess its a moot point as the dealer that had the 52 19 2007 only has the 52 25 left. However they will sell the 52 25 2007 for 5799. Ill probably go with that. Thanks for the help.
  5. touhey33

By the way I was thinking of gettin a pro slide with this so I could walk or ride while mowing. I know it folds up easy. Does the trailering sulky from havener fold up or detach easily?
  6. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes one pin and the sulky is off- BUT trust me you wont be walking- I never-never- never take mine off unless I get a flat.
    Get a scratch and dent model and save more money- that is all I have bought and you can not tell and I have looked them over real well.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have rarely heard anybody complain that they had too much horsepower. More often than not it's that they didn't have enough horsepower.