ferris dd walk(help please)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boss78, Mar 25, 2003.

1. boss78

boss78 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I just bought a 52inch ferris dd with 23 horse motor last summer,2002.I have avelke on the mower and it rides very smooth,but i dont seem to be getting the quality cut that i am expecting,like my other equipment.blades are always sharp(highlift),but seem to not cut like i want.I need some good advise on how to fix this w/out selling the mower.please all inquirys excepted.is exmark much better cut.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've had about 15 Ferris mowers in the past 9 years...never had a problem with their cut. 23hp on a 52" deck should go through any kind/length of grass like Grant going through Richmond during the Civil War...LOL.

As for the cut, try Gators, try running doubles (combos too). Is your deck pitched correctly? If it's higher in the front than the back, your cut will look like s*** for sure.

Hope that helps some.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Two more things to check. One, deck belt tension...if the belt is slipping, you're not getting max productivity (fpm) and will incur a lousy cut.

Also check to see you're getting max rpm's out of the engine...should be up around 3600 - 3750. Less than that, you're getting ripped off.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Problem Solved!

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Not really John!
    This is a friend's 48" Hustler with Velke X2 sulky. He also added a debris bag, Walker traction grip tires and smaller spindle pulleys for 18,000 FPM blade speed! Has a 17hp twin Kaw rope start. I still cannot get used to the controls on it (still stuck on my Scag LOL).

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

sorry I just saw how awful that pic turned out! LOL it is dark and rainy here.. beautiful earlier today though. The grass is looking super!
    Ok here is the ultimate walk behind mower! It has every conceivable gadget on it (made for commercial abuse by yours truly) except a Flex Deck, larger engine and enhanced controls. May upgrade engine and maybe controls next winter.

7. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i agree john. I have a 48" ferris DD and still have not got a good looking cut out of it. Bought an exmark last week and love it. Awsome cut and stripe and not blowout problem.
  8. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

I have owned both ferris/ exmark. I experienced the same probs with ferris. they are heavier duty but yes the cut is not as good as the exmark. you must decide which is better for you.
  9. Hey I though you were changing to yellow?

I went from Ferris to Exmark and couldn't be happier.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hustler, No dealer Support That I Like, The One dealer For The NORTH EAST Is Not My Cup Of Tea. I Only Had a Problem With Dry Thin Grass Which I Solved That Problem. Eric This was On Cut QualityThread Not Really On Mowers. Have You tried THIS Flex Deck?
    Oh The Other Problem Was With Exmark It Self But that Has Been Solved To, Iam Looking and Going to Test this spring a mower thats Been Out For Awhile And Have Had a Lot Of Updates Will Let you Know How It turns Out. I Might Just Sell Them.

lazer&tracer resized.jpg