Ferris deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RonB, May 28, 2005.

1. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Hey ya'll - I've been reading for awhile here and everyone makes this a great site for info. Just now registered because I could use opinions on a possible deal. Someone beat me to it for a test over the weekend but I get a chance if they pass.

It's a Ferris 48" w/21 Kaw 1000Z w/o suspension, 260 hrs. for $3200. Along with thoughts on the price, are there any known issues with this model to look for?

I had my mind set on a new Hustler mini Z 52 but would gladly reconsider since this is quite a bit less. The Ferris dealer is about an hour away btw.

Thoughts appreciated. Again, great site!

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Ferris builds some good mowers. The only possible problem you could have is with the hydro belt idler arm spring. Ferris has had some problems with these springs breaking in the past due to a problem with the vendor. These problems have been corrected but the machine your looking at could possubly have a bad spring on it. $3200 seems like a fair price if the machine has been taken care of and is in good condition.

3. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Travis,

He did say he replaced a belt that was frayed awhile back so I'll ask about the spring.

Forgot to mention, includes a dozen blades. Cut quality OK?

Anyone else - opinions?

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have a new IS 3000 and the cut quality is excellent. It does a beauitiful job. A dozen blades should last you a long time if you buy the machine. :)