ferris deck at 4.5"s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Gamba, Oct 3, 2007.

1. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

How is your ferris cutting with a 4.5" deep deck in the deeper stuff?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It cuts clean, but the clippings are pretty long still & may leave windrows.

3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on which deck. My 61" on the IS2000 will leave clumps, and eventually, it is so plugged up underneath, that I need to scrape it out.
    My DD with a 52" doesnt throw clumps and almost never builds up with grass underneath. The strange thing is the 61 is run by a 27 HP Kohler, and the 52 a 17 Kawi. The 17 is definately at a disadvantage in deeper, or wetter stuff, but it still cuts nice, and leaves nicer stripes, but I have to go slower.

4. John Gamba

from ct

5. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

I've noticed that the decks make a difference. With my new 61" 3100 I mow at 4.25 without a problem. With the old 72" 4000 I run into some problems at around 3.75"-4". With almost 90 hours on my 3100 I have yet to clean under the deck (its almost spotless) while the 4000 has to be cleaned about every 10 hours.

6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

JohnG- No, I ride a velke. Probably some of the reason for lack of power, definately loses power on hills. It will hold its own on flat ground, but tall or wet grass will slow it down, even if I'm walking. This mower never throws clumps, it disperses the clippings real nice, and rarely builds up underneath. I run stock blades.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

why so high John? that's about what they make the rough at The Masters.

8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine cuts fine the only time I see clumps is when it wet. I do have alot of blow out tho.

9. John Gamba

from ct

Rod Good morning. Ferris told me there deck is 4.5" deep. i was wondering how it did in deeper grass?? I have a hard time here with 5" deep deck in the deeper stuff.

I wish they would go 5.5 " deep:) i like there new walk behind

10. John Gamba

from ct

My ukltracut would clump in wet too.