ferris diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, May 5, 2005.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

who has it tell me the draw backs what do you think you are actually cutting an hour. I have demo the unit but wanted to know what guys have noticed during extended use. Thanks thsi is gonna be a big purchase next year I hope. Lots of acerage up for bid for next year. think this machine can get me in the right market.
  2. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

I'v got a Ferris IS4500 with the 28hp CAT and a 60" deck .It is AWSOME!I'v cut around 2 1/2 acres but I'm not sure how long it took me?Those 2 1/2 acres are very rough terrain.But being that it's 1900 pounds and has four wheel suspension it's a very smooth ride going around 8 to 10 mph.The top speed is 12.It's very responsive and turns tight.The only draw back to some people is that it is big.But when ya think about it your buying it to cut big lawns.It will also last forever.The CAT 3011C is the engine it's got.And they say it will last 6000hrs!!!And the mower itself will also last a long time.The dealer showed us a piece the frame and the spindles.The frame on a Farris is around twice the thickness.Because other companys mowers rely on frame flex to take any impact.Not suspension.So that makes Ferris frames the strongest in the industry.So if you want a big mower that's super comfy and super tough this is the mower for you. :D

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It will last MORE than 6000 hours. The 6000 or so mark is the time the engine will probably need any major overhaul. Frankly, the deck and frame will probably fall off before 6000 hours come up IMO.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The spindle pulley failed while we was doing a demo on one of their 60" units. I don't know many shops that can deal with those engines?
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree. Maybe when it comes time to trade, you could just buy a new Ferris Chassis and put your used(but still good) Cat diesel engine in it. J/K :p

If i was going to spend the money on a Ferris mower with the Cat diesel, I would go for the gusto and buy the IS 5000 with the 31hp Cat. :blob3:
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I went to a Demo day today that the dealer had and drove both the IS4500 and the IS 5000 over the same ground. The 4500 rode a lot better than the 5000. The 4500 almost felt like I was riding on air and the ground was fairly rough. I was really suprised at how much better it rode than our 3000. I guess its because of the extra weight of the diesel engine thaat makes it ride smoother. The deck didn't bounce at all and it was cutting great at full speed. I would definately recommend the 4500 but if you need a 72 then you must get a 5000.
  7. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

I'v never driven the IS5000 but I do have a IS4500.And I'v driven it on some very rough terrain and it still ran extremely smooth.And the thing that I said about 6000 hours.I know it will last more than 6000hrs :rolleyes: .I meen look at semi truck engine's they last way over 1,000,000 miles!!And the CAT 3011C engine in the Ferris IS4500 is like a mini version of the 3406 CAT.The mower will last for a long time.But the engine will last longer. :laugh: