Ferris discontinues 1000z for 2006? have 4 new models?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, i bought late this past year, about 5 months ago now, a brand new 2005 model 1000z with a 61" deck and 27hp Kohler engine. Its list price i belive was $7,699? I wanted a rollover bar on it such as John Deere and other brands come standard. It was a $700 option! anyway, i didnt get it at the time, still want it sooner or later.

I see now they do not sell a 2006 model 1000z which has "NO" suspension, they only have FULL suspension models now and seems ALL have ROPS and a seat belt system standard? wtf? So what i want to know is did the prices go up to accomodate such a "$700 optional 2005 ROPS" and the new seatbelt and suspension or was i talked into the model i got because they wanted to get rid of it and didnt want to put a ROPS on it? I can always order it but still, i got mine for a "deal" of $6,900 with 6% sales tax and with a ROPS it would have been $7,600. So are the new models the same price just a 2006 model basically with FREE ROPS and seatbelt kit?
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No, my dealer's prices are way higher on the 2006 models.
    But of course the IS2000 is the closest thing that compares to yours.
    That mower is a new style, has full suspension, ROPS, ect-ect.
    Anyways, I'll see if I can find the price I have on it.

The $6,900 ain't too bad for a 27/61 mower though.
    $700 is way too steep for the ROPS though.
    Some companies are retro-fitting them for $179 INSTALLED.
  3. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

Abuddy of mine bought 2 1000zs last year $5995 each they are Ok
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Yeah i think mine was 6400 before tax or something along those lines.
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Can i buy one of these from a dealer ONLY or can i get one online? ill install the thing if i can get it. Its only metal bars and a couple pins, cant see them costing more than what your saying $179 here, thanks.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Well see, that's what I was thinking. I had a chance back in '03 or '04 to pick up a new IS1000Z 23/52 for $5,799 from an out of town dealer and like a dummy I went headlong to buy something closer to home. But the newer closer dealer wanted more than that when I shopped him last spring.

Anyways, I was thinking in the 6-7k range for the 1000Z.
    Still though, $7,000 + tax for a 27/61 is not bad compared to the average price of other brands.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

To tell you the truth I don't know.

I wish rodfather would chime in here.
    He's big into Ferris and would know better than I.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My bet is you'll only get that ROPS through a dealer. Not too sure about installation though (ie, you do it or the dealer does it free of charge). IMO, I think they are going to want to do the installation for liability/insurance reasons (if any) down the road.
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

ok just talked to a dealer, the ROPS for my 2005 100z is almost $800 there and its only one piece, its not the foldable ROPS like the 2006 models, its also very difficult to install the dealer said. A few parts have to come off just to get it on. Im not sure how someone here got them for $179 installed lol, the dealer wanted $160 just FOR the install labor costs plus almost $800 for the materials itself, what a rip.

Anyway, all 2006 models come with ROPS standard now, and the 23hp kohler motor with a 61" deck like mine in a IS2000Z model is $8,799 their store price, list is $10,115. So since that is still about 2k more than what i bought mine for after tax i cant complain too much, thats just a lot of money for a machine now without going deisel or 30+hp etc.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Notice the above quote... just wanted to include you in my reply.

Rodfather, this is my thoughts also. Those $179 installed deals are those who want to encourage getting the ROPS on their machines for future liability purposes. I'm not sure if the others are charging the $179 "at cost" for the ROPS or if they are supplying ROPS and allowing the dealer's $179 to install them. But my personal guess is that this is the MFG's TOTAL cost for ROPS, shipping and installation, no MFG profit involved.

The crap of $700-$800 for ROPS is BULL.
    Even for folding ROPS and a tough install... somebody is profit gouging.

Other companies = $179 installed for 2 post foldable ROPS or non-foldable ROPS $0 installed.