ferris engine combo

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stevesmowing, Mar 1, 2008.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Will a 25hp kohler fit on a dual drive walk behind? I was looking at the command series

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What is/was on it now ?

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe.

You need to take measurements of your available space, then go to a dealer and get measurement specs on any replacement engine you are thinking of.

Most importantly - get an engine that has the same diameter and length shaft of your original engine. If you dont do this, you bought an anchor. (Engines, short blocks, electrical parts, paint, gaskets and manuals are all non-returnable).

If the numbers are missing, defaced, unreadable, or if the original engine is not available, have a ferris dealer tell you which engine was originally on this thing, and get him to give you some engine options.

If you are going to use it to make money (i.e. commercially), get a quality engine like Kawasaki, Kohler, or Honda.

4. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Make sure the shaft is the same size. Should be 1" on the 17hp and 1 1/18" on the 25 Kohler. If you had a 23 Kaw the shaft should be the same. If you change engines you would also need a different wiring harness unless you figure out what wire is what and splice into the existing wiring harness.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

25 hp makes sense for a 61" wb deck in the high stuff. For a 48" wb deck imho it will burn considerably more gas than the mower really needs to burn.

6. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

All my 52" are 23hp Kaw. It is a popular engine for the 52 Ferris around here. Doesn't bog in spring growth like a 17.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, more is always better if you can afford it. The 25 should be a real hoss. The 17 is definitely underpowered for a 52, marginal on a 48.