Ferris,Exmark, or Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muldnerlm, Apr 1, 2004.

1. muldnerlm

muldnerlm LawnSite Member

I am buying commercial equipment for the first time this year, and could us some help. I cannot afford a rider yet, so i thought that i would go with a 36" belt. I think by next year i should be able to afford the rider, so with that logic a 48" might be over kill. Let me know if you guys agree. Also I could use some advice on which mower you like better.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

All 3 are great...I would go with the Dealer you are most comfortable with then.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

...then buy red. Just get the right color red. eXmark. :D

4. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

All three are great....buy Scag.

5. BIG JOHN TN.

BIG JOHN TN. LawnSite Member

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW FERRIS 3 WHEEL RIDER 61 IN. JUST GETTING STARTED THIS YEAR . I'VE GOT 2 CUSTOMERS AND A SMALL CONDO JOB.I HAVEN'T GOT A BLOWER YET .WHAT KIND WOULD YOU GET

BIG JOHN

6. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

go with a 36" metro, works great, excellent cut.

7. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

sorry, its made by exmark. go with red!

8. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

There is another red one with a superb cut -- Gravely !

Also has a super strong 7 GA. deck and stronger cast iron spindles, and quick, easy, strong leveling height adjusters. They also use larger tires than most - more like you will find on about a 52" hydro pro machine.

Even though you didn't ask about this brand - if you have a close by dealer, they really deserve a look see.

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Gravely is still orange isn't it? Try Hustler, you won't be disappointed.

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The question should be do you want a commerical mower, or an industrial one. Commerical is eXmark, ferris is Industrial.

I have now a 32" eXmark Metro, a very nice machine. Well designed. Can handle minor abuse. I used to have a 48" Ferris Hydrowalk SD (traded it for my Stander) That was a weird design but a good one. They are designed for giving abuse not taking it. The ferris is built like a tank. I wish i didn't sell it. But I love my Wright Stander. Check one out. You don't have to walk and your back will not hurt from sitting. A 36" stander won't break you, if compared to a 36" hydro from either ferris or eXmark. If money is tight then the 32" eXmark metro (belt drive) is a good choice. Of i didn't have a 32" i would have been pushing mowing a 3/4 acre because of a 36" gate.