ferris hydro oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kpetzold, Mar 27, 2008.

1. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

i have a 04 ferris hydrocut, was gonna change the hydro oil , but book says its a sealed unit and the only maintenace is to keep the resevoir full, ?. can i change the oil or not, and if so can u explain, thanks

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's a sealed unit there is nothing to do but cut grass with it. Don't worry about it.

3. rjxj

rjxj LawnSite Member

I had a 50 inch Simplicity zero turn with "sealed" system. They said no need to change hyd oil. I changed the fluid several times while I owned it. Warm it up, lift the drive wheels off the floor, remove the return hose from the little plastic reservoir, put it in a drain pan, start it up and oil will start to flow through the system, add oil to the reservoir as the level drops. Operate it in forward and reverse while adding oil. Don't let it suck air.
    My oil had started to get a dark color to it. After changing the oil we ran it for a week and changed it again. This system didn't have a filter and I couldn't stand to see the oil get darker and darker. I sold it to a buddy at work and its still works fine after 8 years of semi commercial use.

4. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

thanks guys , thats kinda what i was thimnking to.

5. js.lawn

js.lawn LawnSite Member

does it have a tank for the fliud if it does go ahead an change it if it dont han you have the hydrocut 36 or 32 then dont bother its sealed

6. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

it does have a plastic resevoir , is there a filter on the trans to clean, i see what looks like a plug about 1 1/4 -1 1/2 in wrench size , on the side of the trans , could there be an internal filter on the plug . karl

7. js.lawn

js.lawn LawnSite Member

umm what ferria do you have i had a brain fart lol

8. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

lol, 2004 ferris 36 in hydrocut, karl :drinkup:

9. js.lawn

js.lawn LawnSite Member

lol ya i had a few i have 2 36ers and they don't have tanks on them there sealed dealer tells me not to bother changing it so cant give ya any info sorry

10. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

np thanks any ways.karl