1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ferris hydro walk problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SweetGreens, May 27, 2008.

1. SweetGreens

SweetGreens LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I bought a brand new Ferris 48" hydro walk in april. It always seems to leave grass uneven, and it doesnt stripe like the older ferris' i have used in the past. I have sharp blades, a clean deck, and the deck is even. I was just wondering if anyone has had the same problem with the newer ferris' or has any ideas of what to do. Is it something that i am doing? Anything would be of assistance. This is my first year on my own so i have alot to learn still. I am also putting a ferris striping kit on it, i dont know how much of a difference that might make but its worth a shot.

Thanks
    Ben

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ben can you post a pic?

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

check the tire pressure, deck pitch, and spindles.

4. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I would not get too excited about putting a stripe kit on it.
    All of the Ferris' I see in the St.Louis area leave mad stripes, and I have not noticed a single one with a stripe kit.

Follow the others advice on pitch, tires, ect... but also make sure you dont have a blade spacer/washer in the wrong spot (above vs below the blades).

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

do you by chance have a grass catcher that is weighing down he one side?

6. SweetGreens

SweetGreens LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

nope no grass catcher. Everyone elses ferris seems to stripe around here but not mine! all the blades and tire pressure are all good. Everything is brand new. I do 14 yards a week, 1 acreage and 1 commercial and the rest are just houses. If i mow the yard twice it seems to leave a good stripe. Its just for sum reason that mowing it once doesnt leaven an even cut and a unsatisfactory stripe.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Pics of the cut??