Ferris Hydrocut or Quick36?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thesargent, Jan 18, 2007.

1. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

i now all the good things about the Q36, ive read and read nothing but good things about them, and ive even seen some great video of the Q36 in action on steep hills and making some decent turns with the stepsaver(thanks jameson), but i just got the new ferris catalog in the mail and they have a 36 inch single hydro, how does it compare to the Quick36. anyone own one or both. i guess im looking mainly for pros and cons about the ferris, and how it matches up against the Q36, in quality and price. thanks
    wayne

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Ferris 36 SD and I love everything about the mower except for it's turning abilities. I've never seen the video of someone using a sulky (stepsaver) but I tried one on mine and got nowhere. It goes up and down hills fine, cuts like there's no tomorrow (even better then the Exmark it replaced), has a great deck height adjustment system, is easy to work on and has a nation wide dealer network.

I really recommend that you look at another mower. I had to go buy a Ferris 36" gear drive just so I could go sideways on hills and have an easier to turn mower.

3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

The hydrocut Ferris is a great mower and does have more capabilities then the quick 36" but I have never used one and I am sure that it would be the same situation with the sulky since it is single hydro.

4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Almost the same question was asked in another thread. In my response, I mentioned that I had looked into the Ferris 36 before buying the Q36 Samurai. I don't know if HP means much to you, but the Ferris has a 13 HP Kawasaki as opposed to a 16 HP for the Samurai. The price I was quoted for the Ferris was about $3,000 and the Q36 in the sale that is still in progress is $2,500 + $100 for shipping.

5. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Just keep this in mind though, if the Quick 36 breaks down to the point you can't fix it yourself, no shop will want to work on it.

6. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I had the Ferris single hydro. I liked the cut, easy height adjustment and reverse. The biggest problem was turning it, so I traded it in for the 36" belt drive.

7. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

We have machines from coast to coast and several foreign countries now and service has not once been an issue.

When needed, Better Outdoor pays posted shop rates for labor and we bend over backwards to help dealers who help us. Thus far, we (and more importantly our customers) have been treated extremely well.

With over 80% of all power equipment now sold through Home Centers or Mass Retailers like Lowes or Sears, we're finding that a great many dealers are re-focusing their business on service.

It's never a problem to find qualified service if one is willing to pay for it.

Have a good weekend all! :drinkup:

gp

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have never used the Ferris but I have used the Quick a fair bit. It is about the same difficulty turning as a 21" mower. The technique is a little different but the effort is about the same. It takes a little muscle on the hills but it is definitly doable. If you do hills all day then you really need a dual hydro but if it is only some of your lawns, then the Quick will do fine.

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The Ferris 36 hydro here is 2499 at my dealer. Just looked at one yesterday while waiting on other stuff.

10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

If hp is an issue you get 3 more of them with the Quick 36.