Ferris Hydrowalk DD, ayone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scout_pete, Apr 28, 2005.

1. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

Anybody running a Ferris Hydrowalk DD with a 52" or 61" deck? Got a quote today...trying to make a decision. Seems like a solid unit at just under $5 grand. TIA for comments

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a couple of both. All are fixed decks. Love my Ferris machines...been using them for 11 years now (about 20 total).

3. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

Thanks, Rodfather. I have a quote of $4,900 for the 52" with the 17HP Kawasaki. Does that sound like a reasonable quote?

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using them for 6 years now and they are great. I still have the first one I bought and it runs fine.

5. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

I have 2 Ferris mowers now, just sold a 48in Sd but currently run a 36 Sd and 48DD. Both are very solid units. Price you mentioned seems reasonable. I know a new 48DD runs somewhere around $4200.

6. rodfather

That sounds about right.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Rodfather, maybe AllFerris.....

I just acquired a 48" Hydro-Walk, 1998 year from a bank that I picked up the account.

Got it for one month's worth of mowing, $800.

They used it at the bank to do their own mowing for the last 6 seasons, '99 until '04. The maintenance guy retired.

I'm wondering if either of you, or anyone else could tell me how to adjust the brakes on it???

Is it the square headed screw I see down by the brake??

Right now the brakes catch a little when you squeeze the handle, but I'd really like them to almost stop the wheel if I could get it that way.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

8. rodfather

Jeremy, they're suppoed to catch. The more the pressure you apply, the more they catch until the point that the wheels go into reverse. That is what dual drive hydro is all about....hope I am making sense.

800 bucks huh? Nice horse trading there btw. And good luck with it. :)

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 Ferris 52" DD hydro w/b's with the quick adjust deck and the 23hp Kawi. Go with the bigger motor if you can swing it. The extra power comes in handy in taller grass. We love Ferris machines. We own 5 currently and all run and cut great! The quick adjust deck really is handy. I think we paid around $5,500 for ours. Money well spent.

Chris

10. jturnr

jturnr LawnSite Member

I received a quote on the 15hp 52" hydrowalk today for $4200...does this seem high, low, or average ?

This is my first post and I would like to thank everyone for all of the valuable information on this site.