ferris hydrowalk sd hydro system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gandk06, Nov 14, 2007.

1. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know if the hydro system on a 2004 ferris hydrowalk sd is a sealed system? I just bought it used a couple of weeks ago and went to my dealer to order the hydro filter. I got home and went to change the fluid and don't see a filter on it:dizzy:

Because it was used I don't have the manual for it and it is not on-line. The dealer looked it up on their system and it showed a filter but it's not there. Maybe he was looking at the wrong machine?:confused:

Any help?

2. hydro drive

hydro drive LawnSite Member

What type of drive does it have?

Pump and wheel motors or Intergrated Zero turn tranny?

3. gandk06

good question. not quite sure. it is a single hydro unit if that helps.

4. hydro drive

Single Hydro Per side?

If so There might be a Yellow Zinc guard covering the Oil Filter that needs to come off first before the filter. It is sort of a filter guard

5. gandk06

one hydro drives both wheels at the same time.

6. hydro drive

Can you post what the drive looks like? Take a pic? and post it

Thanks

7. gandk06

Sure. I can do that. But don't think it will help. The filter they gave me is the size of car oil filter. Now the one on my Cub Tank is a small drop in filter that is under a cover. There is no way this filter is hidden under any cover. Just wondering if it is possible that it is closed hydro system that does not have a filter and the fluid can't be changed out. I know other people have or have had this same mower on this site. Wondering if any of them could chime in a share their knowledge.

thanks,

8. hydro drive

Sounds good. Do you have a model and who makes the tranny.

ANy body else???

9. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

The Ferris SD is a closed system. There is no filter to change. I have had mine 13 years and have never changed the hydro fluid. Mower still works and runs like the day I bought it.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, you have one of the good one's that were built like a brick, well you know. I had a 1993 Woods (built by Ferris) 36" SD and that was a mower and a half.

To get back on topic...

The new Ferris SDs don't have an easily changable filter. Some of them have a small internal filter I believe. I wouldn't worry about the fluid unless you see a large leak, not seepage.