Ferris i4000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pristine PM, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

I was looking at a Ferris i4000 with a 1000 hours on it. I was told that it was bought for $23000 5 years ago, and he is looking for $7000 for it. It is his backup mower and he doesn't use it much. It is a 72 inch deck. I am not sure what the engine is but I believe it said 23 hp.

I will most likely not be buying this because it is to big, but we are bidding on some school boards and it would be great if we got a few of them and then we would buy this type of mower.

Is that price a bit high?

Are the hours decent? How much life can you expect to get out of these? (gas)

Thanks,

Jon

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

First off, I doubt he paid $23K for a 72" mower 5 years ago, even if it was a diesel. Second of all, I wouldn't buy a 72" ZTR with only 23HP even if it was diesel, that's just not enough power. $7K now, being 5 years old is too high, even with 1000 hours. I'd give him $2500 for it. A typical air-cooled gas engine is made for about 1500 hours from what I understand. So you wouldn't be getting many more seasons out of it. I would be looking at something else, there are much better deals out there.