Ferris independant suspension...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluesteel, Feb 16, 2003.

1. I was wondering if the people that use Ferris ZTR's with independant suspension see and significant benefits over conventional ZTR's.

Additionally, how well do they perform on slopes vrs. a conventional ZTR.

2. No Ferris independant suspension users?

3. Awilkinson

Awilkinson LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I was wondering the same thing. I really like the cat engine but have not had a chance to demo it yet.:angel:

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

too bad nobodys responding, cause im kinda curious as well. the machine looks massive. i was down in atlanta this weekend for a conference, and at the giant vac booth they had the ferris 72 inch IS with Cat engine, pushing their new blower that has its own buddy. It has to weigh a ton id think, but i would love to take one for a rip around the block.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I demo'd one and a Hustler at the same time...........Hustler was smoother! I never have thought that a suspension on a mower was a good thing. If it leans over on a hill then your bound to have a nice long cut line where the deck has went with the chassis.

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Don't mean to start anything, but this came from a ferris owner, said he would never buy another one, bad scalping is what he said. I could see where he's coming from, my cub did the same thing when I pulled the pins out to let the front axle swivel, took me awhile to figure it out, so I slipped the pins back in, no problems after that, if one front wheel went down, so did the deck.

7. i have a ferris is3000 and luv it.Its the best ztr for hills.Walkers will also climb hills but not as fast or smooth as a ferris.plus best ride in the business.I also have a dixie chopper which I love but if I ride all day on my dixie then get on the ferris oooo what difference in ride.I manily use my ferris for hills and my dixie for flat land

8. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

I would do a search on here! I have seen both good and bad on ferris.

9. Just guessing, but it sure looks like that fancy suspension would ride smooth. However, it also seems that it would not handle slopes as well as a convetional ZTR. Additionally, I'm starting think the more the deck floats, the worse the scalping will be. So far, there's been 2 confirmations, and 1 contridition to my assumptions.