Ferris IS® 5000Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLCS, Jan 18, 2003.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I was just curious does anyone own or has demoed the Ferris IS® 5000Z. I don't know of any other manufacturer who uses a Cat deisel engine. I would assume compaction would/could possibly be a problem. Whats your thoughts.

2. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

Ditto. That dudes gotta be a HOG. Is there really any advantage to the Ind. suspension?

3. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I did in fact test one of this beasts last year, pretty powerful machine, as a matter of fact I used to brush hog one property in a little bit in a lawn, the IS is really nice, speacially if you mow for the whole day, your back will tell you the difference, this baby is meant to be used in big open areas.

The quality in the cut was real good too.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Not a problem an "opportunity" to sell Aeration!!!!

I want to see this thing, my dealer in town just took this line over so I am sure there may be a demo coming in the spring.

5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I rode one at expo,it didn't ride as good as i would have thought.it is HUGE!It sounds just like an 18wheeler when you crank it up.:eek:

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

7. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

If the price tag wasent 15K I would have gotten one instead I got a yanmar diesel in my mower.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I was lucky enough to demo one for a couple of days this past summer. Yep, that machine is a monster alright. All the power you could ask for.

The full independent suspension is not just for operator confort...it also increases the machine's ability to hold a slope. That is, with the independent suspension, all 4 tires stand a better chance of hugging the ground better.

Only thing that I could see "wrong" with the 5000 is that the Cat engine they use with it will far outlive the rest of the machine.

9. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Look closely, it's not a Caterpillar engine. It's a Perkins. Not that there is anything wrong with Perkins, but I don't trust "mislabeling".

Mike

10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

well as leaflawnandlimb told us in the search for the biggest baddest 72" thread Perkins is owned by CAT so really it is the same engine and not really mislabled.
    They can put whatever name they want on it.