1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ferris IS 1000 Z

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clipslawnservice, Apr 4, 2004.

1. clipslawnservice

clipslawnservice LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying a new Z and can't decide on the Scag
    Tiger Cub 52" or the New Ferris IS 1000 Z< the Ferris has a 23hp.
    Kaw. & the scag has a 20hp. Honda?
  2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

ferris is the better deal

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

I have never owned a Scag, but I do own a IS100Z. When I looked at purchasing a ZTR, the Ferris seemed to have more features, and the Kawasaki engine that I wanted. It has been a great machine. I don't think you can get the Kawasaki on the 2004 models though.
  4. mowerman52

mowerman52 LawnSite Member

Get the Ferris. Ferris mowers are the best in the industry and they are built like a tank. Also my experience with Honda engines is not that good. I only used a 13 hp on a 48" mower but the darn thing kept breaking down. Kawasaki engines have a good reputation.

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

Another thing to consider, and I don't want to start a flame or offend anybody, is dealer support. The dealer where I bought my Ferris has a policy that if the machine can not be fixed right away they will give you a loaner model to keep you up and running until your machine is repaired.
    I don't know if other manufacterers provide this support, but this was one of the things that led me to the Ferris.
  6. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Have not heard anything bad about Ferris. They are well made.
  7. mowerman52

mowerman52 LawnSite Member

If it is a IS 1000 Z then it is the lower model of the independent suspension line of their mowers right? Those look like they would be a nice ride.

Listen to KERRTURF, get any of your equipment from a supportive dealer. You will be very greatful you did when something breaks down.

good luck.
  8. intensity4fish

intensity4fish LawnSite Member

What did you decide? I decided on the ferris IS 1000 w 48" deck for my 2 1/2 acres.

Let me know.

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Pro-Cut Z Ferris (61" ZTR) with 23 HP KAW. It has 1000 hours on it and doesn't miss a beat. Good choice!