Ferris IS 1500Z or Scag Wildcat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr fixit, Feb 22, 2007.

1. mr fixit

mr fixit LawnSite Member

Please help me.

I'm looking at both. There is a $1500 difference in price, the scag is more.

I've shopped around, and this dealer has the best price on both.

I'm gonna buy one of them soon, like this or next week.

Both have 52" decks, both have 25hp Kawasaki air cooled engines.

Is the Scag worth 1500 more?

Will the difference in price continue into the used market, meaning will they both retain their value equally or will (as I suspect) Scag hold more resale value down the line.

I need to make a decision soon. I'm already leaning, but I don't want to say which way. I want to see what you guys have to say.

Thanks.

2. jrs mowing

jrs mowing LawnSite Member

I would buy the ferris if it were me........just my opinion..

3. mr fixit

mr fixit LawnSite Member

Thanks for the opinion. May I ask why?

4. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Wow. $1500 buys a lot of parts and fuel.

I own two Scag TT's and do not care for Ferris.
    If you're impartial though, it's pretty clear.

Do you buy machines for resale value, or to use and make money? I'm not being sarcastic.... but if you make your dollars on it, why worry about resale or trade-in? I personally don't see much difference in resale as long as it's cared for. You'll take a beating no matter which one you choose. If I shopped in the used market and that Ferris came up for the right price, I would buy it. If it fit for what I needed it to do, it's the right machine for me.

How's the service department for either of these? I know it's the same dealer, but anything there to sway you one way or the other?

All things being equal to YOU, I'd opt for the Ferris and bank the cash.

A

5. Pepler's Lawncare

Pepler's Lawncare LawnSite Member

I'm also looking at Scag and bobcat...i own a ferris and never will again...ive had hydro pumps and wheel motors replaced at 200 hrs and there going again. Always changed fluids at 200 hrs. Scags also seem easier to work on. They tryed to cram everything under the seat of the ferris...no room to work on anything...plus im not very happy with the cut of the machine...nor the bagging system i bought with the machine...i could go on and on

6. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

I agree with Peplers. I was going to get a ferris until I saw all the problems with the pumps. Scag may cost more but its worth the extra. I ended up with a 2007 tiger cub with the velocity deck. Wow what a nice cut. I demoed one first. I cut threw some 3 foot high weeds with no problem. The ferris has a nice ride but they have more mechanically problems. I also have a 1993 scag walkbehind that has never been in the shop. I guess that is why I spent alittle more and bought scag again.

7. mr fixit

mr fixit LawnSite Member

I consider everything I buy for the business an investment. If I have an option of 2 machines of the same price, and one holds 70% value for 4 years, the other holds 30% value for 4 years, I go with the 70% machine.

One thing on both of these; I will have to travel out of my mowing area for service on either one. I think the down time with the dealer will be the same either one I choose.
    Which one will be down more? Even if it is warrenty, time down is money.

If I save $1500 on the front end, but loose $2000 on resale value difference on the back end, I have a net loss.

Has anybody ran both the Ferris and the Scag in the last several years for a period of time?

8. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

ferris is1500 owner first bath this year will be 3rd season. 900 hrs?
    52in 25hp kaw.

the moweer had no hydro problems just a cluthch wouldn't stay in perfect adjustment they put new on in 20 min free. Also other stuiped minor warrenty upgrades or changes like water proof fuse block diiferent designed belt for hydros

It has been great for me I run it all day huge time saver! I have the tripple bag it is extra 2,200 but can hold tons of grass! Speed is good. cut is good easy to get used to. the ride is great.

The scag is great and it will do you fine! only difference is scag deck have the best air flow the mower is a tank over buit maybe the sticks are gonna be tighter on the scag.

I would buy the Ferris Is3100 a 61 in 35or 32hp engine!
    It has a real suspension indepedant on all 4 tires a superior deck and great bagging capability. I like ferris my warrenty is 2 year commercial and no hydro oil change deal does the breakin included. after that if no problems change every 1,000 dealer siad never to change it after break in period.? To each their own.

Basically you need to demo each and see which people at which shop do you wanna deal with.

9. mr fixit

mr fixit LawnSite Member

Drew,
    Ferris Is3100 a 61 in 35or 32hp engine is not an option. It will be either the Scag Wildcat or the IS 1500.

You've had both, Scag and 1500, which one would you buy again?

Is the $1500 difference worth it to you?

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

well before scag dealer was just a total dumb ass but my regular dealer just also got scag.(Now they have Ferris,snapper, simplicity,honda,echo, Scag, Gravely, Great dane) If your gonna do bagging go ferris. If money is tight go ferris. If your gonna ride the z everyday yourself get the ferris If you have employees and they are gonna run the z get the scagg they won't break it as much built like a tank. I don't want to make your decisions I just want to give you the best knowledge I have.