Ferris IS 4500Z...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ever Green, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Ever Green

Ever Green LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anybody has used or owns Ferris mowers? I'm thinking of getting the new 4500 Z...is the suspension really that great? I'd like to hear some thoughts...also diesel vs gas...I have an exmark lazer z 60" right now...it's got many many hours on it...I'd like to upgrade...seems to me that suspension would be nice...I have not had a chance to demo one...snow...and more on the way...thanks for the help...

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Been using them for 11 years now with about 20 of them in service...extremely reliable machines IMO.

3. kriswa

kriswa LawnSite Member

Been using them for many years and love them ! I mostly use w/b because i have a 17' finish mower for the big areas , but i demoed one last monday with the new cat on it loved it springs do make a big differance drove like a dream . couldn't mow with it still winter here.
    :cool2:

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I drove a new IS 3000 the other day for a while over the dealers bumpy lot going pretty fast and it rides so good. We're gonna try to buy one before long.

5. Travis Followell

from KY

I drove a new IS 3000 the other day for a while over the dealers bumpy lot going pretty fast and it really rides good. That suspension really helps out a whole lot. We're gonna try to buy one before long.

6. mdl

mdl LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

My dealer says the 4500 is a significant ride upgrade from the 3000 or 5000.
    I have demo'd the 3000 and 5000 series and the ride is far and away better than any other ztr I've tried (at least 6-7 brands).
    I'll see for myself this spring.

7. apexlawn03

apexlawn03 LawnSite Member

Hello I was at the NY Farm show this past weekend and did some talking with Ferris dealer. I test drove several last year at a local dealer did not get a chance to mow with them.Ride over bumps and rough lawn was outstanding.Still dont know how the cut is. I have heard several concerns about poor cut when slowing down for a turn around.

8. Travis Followell

from KY

I've heard people that have demoed them say they cut as good as an Exmark even in wet grass. The deck will not bounce over rough ground because it is mounted to the A arms on the suspension soit follows the wheels and the flow of the terrain without bouncing.

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Would anyone pay $6000 for a Ferris4500 ($24500) over a Hustler SuperZ60/28efi?

I know the differences but $6000 is a hell of alot of mowing over here!

What do yaz think?

10. Travis Followell

from KY

I'd say in your case its not worth the extra cost because thats a lot more of a price difference between then over there then it is here. Is that price for the 28 cat or the 35 Briggs? If its for the Cat then i'd pay that much more for the machine but thats just me.