Ferris IS 5000Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chief, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Chief

Chief LawnSite Member

I was looking at one of these models but have not heard much feedback with respect to experience with this brand line or this model. Evidently it is pretty new so not sure if any of you have this model. What do you all think of it? Seems to be a superior model to the John Deere 777 & 797. Any comments & opinions appreciated.

Link to Ferris IS 5000Z

Here is a place that has them for sale on the net.

Link to IS 5000Z Store

Would be interesting to see how this machine does on steep slopes with a Catarpillar diesel.
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I test drove one around a parking lot. I was going over holes and bumps. The ride was real smooth. The price is steep $15k. And the thing weighs in at almost one ton. The engine sounded great!
  3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I was dissapointed to find out that the Cat yellow motor is actually a Perkins. This Morfidation is due to Cat now owning Perkins....:(
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I ate there a few times! Good restaurants!

Also, nothing wrong with Perkin's diesel engines. They've been around for a long time. You'll still kill the mower way before any brand diesel engine on a ZTR.

They ARE heavy machines!
  5. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

i demoed i for a few weeks , great machine , will hold hills. but to pricy - i bought 2 is 3000 for almost the same money.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The thing weighs a ton (literally).
    Has more power than you know what to do with.
    Holds a hill (IMO) better than any other Z.
    Expensive price tag.
    Demoed for week and hated to give it back.
    I've had like 15 Ferris machines over the past 9 years and find them extremely reliable.

Hope that helps...
  7. Chief

Chief LawnSite Member

Does $14,800 sound like a good price?
  8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Imow, all of Cats engines 75 hp and under are perkins, perkins makes a good engine, they had problems with the injector pumps, so when Cat bought them they used the engine and put all of their hardware on it. i have a cat skid steer with the perkins and the things run awesome never misses abeat. tony

just wish they made the ferris w/ a 60" deck
  9. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

ferris is working on a 60" with the cat, should be out sometime next year. I was told this by one of the engineers at ferris.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Very good price. Is it a demo btw?