1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris IS 5000Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ursushorribilus, May 22, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

What can I expect for a price range from a dealer for a Ferris IS 5000Z with the 31.5 LC Cat diesel? Does anyone own one? If so, how do you like it? Is it worth the pricetag?
  2. Emerald Hydroseeding

Emerald Hydroseeding LawnSite Member

I demo`d one two months ago but was not that impressed. The dealer quoted me $14,900. I ended up going with a Grasshopper 322D. It was 5 grand cheaper and in my opnion a much better built machine.
  3. Tomprevette

Tomprevette LawnSite Member

We purchased a IS5000 a month ago and currently have about 100 hrs of service. It is heavy, but it rides as smooth as the IS4000 and will cut like nothing we have ever used. I highly recommend the 5000 if you have the acreage to support it, but it will 'dig' on turns and you have to learn to glide through 180's when laying stripes. The IS4000 with the gas Dihatsu engine is lighter and more manuverable, we have ~500 hrs on ours with little problem. Running both these machines is something to watch, incredibly productive. After years of 'flying over' the handles of walkbehinds, being 'bucked' off of Kubota's and having the 'bone-rattling' of some other Z-mowers, it's nice to have my old behind rocked with a decent suspension. These units list ~14,500 my demo with 50 hrs was ~13,000
  4. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

I was looking at Ferris 3000 about a week ago and in conversation dealer said the 5000 CAT was 14K +. Great mower but more of a mower than I need at this time.

I took delivery of a new Ferris 3000 61" with Kolher 27 hp yesterday. Best I could do on price was $8,449. Mowed great. Rode even better. Only missed 3 blades of grass and that may have been driver error. The only bad thing I found during first use was that it cuts up the grass so fine the wind catches it sometimes and blows the grass back in my face-eyes. I guess it is human nature to be unhappy about something:rolleyes:

First time to mow with a ZTR and it took me between 1 3/4 and 2 hours to mow about 3 acres. Using a JD LT133 it would take be between 4.5 and 5 hours to mow same amount. I LIKE IT.
  5. Ursushorribilus

I was just reading the Ferris website and found out the IS 5000 now has 2 new rear-discharge deck options: a 61" and a 72", The site claims that these decks, "evenly disperses grass clippings in a fine thin layer behind the mower". How does rear discharge compare to side discharge?

I would imagine the 31.5 hp Cat diesel with the 61" rear discharge deck must be a torque monster! I have had doubts about ZTR's pulling my 310 lbs. and growing butt around, but it seems like this machine might do it.
  6. Ursushorribilus

Back to the top...anyone on the rear discharge?
  7. appearance

appearance LawnSite Member

I run all IS 4000 best mower ever used I 72 and 61 kaw. engines
  8. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

i had a john deere 757, and sold it and got a ferris, in my opinion they make a great product
  9. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i demoed the IS3000 last week, i was very impressed with the ride, cut, and how smooth the hydro was very soft. it seemed to have thrown grass almost 3 rows away, if they can put a side discharge on the 61" i may have to buy one. tony