Ferris Is ztr!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brandy, Mar 15, 2001.

1. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

Interested in anyone who has experiance with these mowers. what I want to know is how the narrow wheels on the front effect mower and the small outlet for discharging of grass effects cut and spreading of clippings!!!

2. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

No one ownes one of these machines????

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

6-1/2 and 18

4. steve

steve LawnSite Member

Works Great

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Not to sound sarcastic but..........why are you asking that NOW? Didn't you just PURCHASE that mower?:confused:

By the way, I talked to a part timer last night who owns a Ferris and he said he really like his, it isn't the IS though.

6. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

New to this board and I love it. I bought the DC 1701 w/ 17 hp Kohler and 50" deck. Loved it until I saw the Ferris 3000 IS...seemed to have many upgrades i.e. dual gas tanks w/reserve, pin type height adjusters and especially the IS. My dealer, New Albany Tractor, let me take it on Sat afternoon and demo until Monday. I liked it but the cut wasn't as good as my DC but my main gripe was the neutral return springs. On my DC if I briefly let go of a steering, say to scratch my nose or move a low branch no big deal. On the Ferris if I let go of a steering lever mower would swerve sharply. Spring was in the least tension setting too. Now I suppose I could have just disconnected the neutral return spring but if it was supposed to be like that then the factory should have done it. For ease of use I wouldn't trade entry DC for Ferris IS.

And you know what they say about opinions

Doublesharp

7. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Brandy,

The Ferris mower has a great ride. The only problem is finding a dealer that is capable of repairing the mower. Have one in for service with a terrible growl...can't find out whats wrong with it and suggest we just use it that way...not a satisfactory answer! Hope your luck runs much better.

Flush the unit of gas and oil and it would make a great anchor.

8. bubenberg

bubenberg LawnSite Member

This is my problem too. Plus a few more such as loss of speed (RPM)after a few hours of operation once the so called dealer has mad adjustments. Everytime the mower has to go in to do these so called minor adjustments it has to stay in overnight. Bought this mower to to get a better ride but the ride alone does not cost $8,000.00, mowing is very important to us also.

9. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Bubenburg,

I replied to your other post. It is June 19, today and they know no more about the problem today then they did May 22, of course it's only been a month today! I guess patience is the word of the day!
    GREAT SUPPORT!

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

oh well ,i guess we know now.what this forums for .