ferris IS1000 Demo today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Jun 29, 2004.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed the 23/52 today. It seemed to cut well in thick grass. it sprayed the clippings at least two rows over. I cut on a very bumpy and hilly yard and lot and it was very smooth. That same place beats my walk behind to death, and i did it in half the time. The deck was a little un-even, but that could have been tire pressure or it just needed to be adjusted. I'm sure that is not a problem.

I was also cutting my yard which is very healthy (thick) 2 week old bermuda (with rain every day). It went through that like nothing. I purposly let it go that long for the demo. it needs to be cut every 4-5 days.

I do have a question? Any of you that have these how does it do mulching? I will probably just put a quick chute or something on there.

I think if i get on i will probably get the 21/48. I have a price of 6300 with 0% for 36 months. I still have to demo the exmark, but i almost don't want to due to the better deal on the ferris and better dealer support. Let me hear your oppinions?

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I love my new 23/52 IS1000Z!!! it’s great. Put a reverse gator on top of a standard lift blade as doubles and you will love it even MORE!!!
    When I got mine, the front of the deck was 1” higher than the rear, not 1/8” or ¼” lower like it’s supposed to be!!! I don’t think these dealer people ever actually cut grass LOL or they don’t care how it looks. I spent a good half hour getting my deck set right but now that I did it is great. I got the 36 month deal, how awesome. I bought the machine over a month ago and still have not paid a single penny on it. I ordered the Triple-Bag Fast-Vac for it about a month ago and have not seen it yet. Seems it is on backorder. I will say that they have not been honest with me on a delivery date for the Fast-Vac. With that issue I have been VERY disappointed and angered very much on many days. I keep getting lied to as to what day it will arrive…. I HATE when people lie to me. Other than that, it’s just fine. I don’t know about mulching. I’m going to make an OCDC for it as soon as I get the bagger, I’m waiting to see how the bagger attaches so that I can build the OCDC around the bagger so I don’t have to take it off to bag.

Better hurry, the 36 month deal is over tomorrow!!!!!! Get one you will love it. I have showed it to many many owners of rigid frame mowers such as eXmark and others, and they loved the design. They then tried it and really loved it. It gives better tire traction to the rear wheels which results in better hill holding and less turf tearing. Also, as my uncle (Dixie owner) pointed out, I can go diagonally through the ditch at grandma’s house without scalping or gouging or frame twisting and he can’t do that. When he tries it with his 50” silver eagle Dixie, the deck gouges and scalps and the frame torques. Also on the side opposite of the gouge it will leave uncut grass. He just bought that mower new this spring and only uses it on his yard and my grandma’s yard and already he wants to put a pivoting axle on front to help it be more like my Ferris! Also my Ferris rides smoother so you can cut faster with less jolting.
    Get a Ferris with suspension, you won’t regret it.

3. hartslawnmain

hartslawnmain LawnSite Member

Actually, the 0% for 36 mos doesn't end until July 31.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

oh really? cool! i thought it was june 30...

5. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

Hmmm, I just had a guy PM me on one of my previous posts about the IS1000 23/52 asking for dealer's name and number. He has PMed me again and the dealer sold it to him for $5995.00 plus tax. He said it was the last one dealer still had at that price. Maybe I SHOULD have bought that machine ;)

6. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Finally got a chance to go to my nearest Ferris dealer today. Initially I thought I wanted the IS3000 but the price is a bit too much considering I also own a JD 955 CUT with a 72" mmm, that I want to keep. The dealer didn't have much in stock. What he had was a IS1000 with a 21/48 & another 1000 with 23/61 but not an IS. I would much rather have a 1000IS 23/61. He has a trade-in at another dealership he owns. (Fellow went up to IS3000) It is a IS1000 with the 23/52 with only 147 hrs. It is 2 yrs. old so the warranty has run out. He is asking 5650, which seems way too high. I really think I need the 61" cut but I would like to make an offer on the trade-in. Any suggestion on where I should start? BTW best he could do on a IS3000 25/61 is 8750.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Molerj, 23hp ain't enough for a 61. There's no way I'd have it. And 5650 is more than I would spend for sure. If you really like the Ferris, have him get you the 23/52 and be done.

8. Molerj

Molerj LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

TX, thanks for the reply. I was wondering if the 23 would be undersized for the 61. Sounds like you know what your talking about. Ok, now to make an offer on the trade-in or go for it on the 3000......what will I do, what will I do:confused: :confused:

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Really?

I have 2 and have no complaints along with the other 20 or so Ferris machines we have had in the past 11 years. Perhaps you need to have more than just a single year in business (so your profile says) before you offer that kind of advice?

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No he doesn't, but I do when it comes to Ferris machines.

I have even field demoed some of their prototypes (the IS5000, their 32" WB) well before they were even out on the market through their largest distriibutor here in NJ for Ferris.

Feel free to PM or email me at rspronck@aol.com with any questions.