Ferris IS1000Z owners speak up!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 21, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok I had posted another thread asking about this but I believe due to the title it did not get the response I wanted.

I want to know about the Ferris IS1000Z 52” 23hp Kawasaki. Good, bad, anything. How does the deck cut and discharge compared to an eXmark? Is the 23hp plenty of power for doubles on this deck? What is the going price on one of these machines (new)?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

Bought my IS100Z in October of '03, and have used it all of this season so far. I paid $7,025 out the door. The 23HP Kawi is awsome. A couple of new jobs I got this year were extremely high, and the old ZTR plowed right through the tough stuff without even thinking about it. Cut quality has been more than acceptable in my opinon, but to be fair, I have not had any personal experience with Exmark. The suspension works great, and really helps out on those "not so perfect " lawns. The dealer support has been very good, and they come with a two year commercial warranty. When the time comes for me to buy another ZTR I will probably go back to a Ferris, but this time go with the IS300Z for the 4 wheel independent suspension. My only complaint is that they do not offer a striping kit for it yet. If the deck is set up correctly you really do not need the striping kit, but having the kit would probably leave a better stripe. If you can't tell yet, I have been really impressed by this machine!

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks that’s exactly the type of feedback I wanted to hear- not someone who is obsessed with it (you said to be fair you haven’t used an eXmark). That’s fine. I would probably build my own deck roller for striping anyway so that doesn’t really matter to me. The IS3000ZX with 27hp Kohler and 60” deck was $8999 at my dealer if you’re interested. I wanted the most power affordable but got to thinking that I feel a 52” deck is better for me at this time than a 60”.

Any way you could post a picture of lawns cut with it? Please tell what height they were cut at. Thanks.

4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

i'm looking into the IS3000 right now.

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

The boss just OK'd the deal! Sa-weet!

6. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

You won't be dissappointed, I will try to post a picture for you if I can get a digital camera this weekend. If you figure out a good way to engineer a striping kit for it, let me know how it works.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Kerrturf- Going to try and go get it tomorrow morning :D :D :D
    They want $7499 :( another, larger dealer in the same area wants $7100 but I used to work for them at a different branch and I would not say that they are the most honest people (disconnected an hourmeter on a demo unit while I mowed their 6 acre lot with it every week for the summer then sold it as having only a few hours on it :mad: ) they lied a couple other times too. The guy I’m going to buy from I used to go to church with and I would say he’d be a better guy to buy from. I’ll see if I can haggle the price alittle and/or get some blades, shirt/hat or something to go with it to sweeten the deal. Can’t wait :D :D :D
    I hope I get what I pay for in this deal. Could get a 60" 27hp eXmark Lazer for that, but local dealer is no good and they don't have that sweet finance deal. Plus I want 52" and the suspension.

8. KERRTURF

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

Blades.... Blades..... Blades!!!
    Shirts, hats, etc. are a dime a dozen, but blades are about $15 a piece!
    Good luck.

9. LT01

LT01 LawnSite Member
    from MD

We purchased a new IS3000ZX this spring. I will truly say that we went with this machine for two reasons over the Non-Suspension mowers.
    1. The independent suspension is awesome and makes a difference on your body at the end of the day.
    2. The IS3000ZX now comes standard with the high back seat. On other mowers we tested it was a couple hundred dollars extra for the same seat.
    I don't think you can truly compare the two machines (Suspension & Non-Suspension) unless you were to demo each of them at the same time. That will show you a clear difference in their performance. If you go with the Ferris you will not be disappointed. Let me know how the striping kit goes as well. We're fabricating something ourselves too. Good Luck...

10. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

i got my new 1000zis on the 6th of this month...it a 52 23, and i love it, so far so good...the black tanks on the side are really easy to get really dirty, so it never looks too clean...i think some one said no striping kit...i compared to exmark 20 54 i think and a 23 60...ferris was cheaper, and i liked the ride. thats why i picked it