Ferris IS1000Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by googie, Nov 12, 2002.

1. googie

googie LawnSite Member

I need some help please. I was looking to buy a Ferris IS 1000Z
    52 inch cut with 23 hp kaw. This machine has independant
    suspension in front and looks weel built. I was quoted
    6795.00 My question is are they good machines and are they reliable. I also looked at a scag turf tiger 52 inch cut 23 hp kaw
    and is same price. I just want to know that i am getting my moneys worth any help would be great. :blob4:

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Very reliable machines...have been running them for 8+ years now...48's, 52's, 61 WB's.

The Independent Suspension makes all the difference in the world...just got a IS3000 and we love it.

Price sounds bout right, too. Hope that helps. Can email me if you want.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I got sweet on the same machine. Dang it! It just seems like that design would be superior. Did you catch that the deck is mounted to those A-arms? Simplicity (which owns ferris now) has done this for years on their lawn tractors. When that wheel goes up, the deck follows and goes up with it! No scalping like you get with just a suspended deck and pivoting axle.

Anyways I got some bashing of Ferris that made me question my judgement about my "eye" for a well built machine. But it's still on my list.

I'll tell you right now that price is too high! About a $1,000 too high. I got a quote via e-mail from a dealer in Raliegh, NC for $5,750. Heck of a deal if you ask me! The closer dealer to me want over $6,000. But not that much. HAGGLE!!!

Please keep me posted and let me know if you buy!

rodfather,

They claim these are the best Z's made for hills. Any truth in that??? Also, do you think it helps you to be able to use more ground speed than if you were without the IS??? I have few places I can stand to run hammer down top speed. My poor rear end and back just can't take it!!! :eek:

4. rodfather

The independent suspension helps to keep all the tires on the ground when traversing slopes...better traction, less chance of rutting, better productivity. And it is so much easier and confortable on your back and rear end...I'm 48 today and I can tell you how a back and sore rear can hurt at the end of a day...LOL!

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Happy Birthday, Rodfather !!! I'm only 4 years behind ya !!! :)

6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

7. rodfather

8. googie

googie LawnSite Member

I am just asking and by the way thank all of you for your help
    if the ferris is a better machine why is it priced cheaper than Xmark. and is the deck on the ferris built as strong as the Xmark.
    also can you compare the turf tiger to the ferris.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

googie,

You'll find after shopping, studying product literature and compairing, that there is pretty much an across the board standard for heavily built decks and frames across the board with most any brand. Most offer Kawi, Kohler or both as far as engines go. Most run parker-ross wheel motors and the same pumps.

So you start with a pretty level playing field. Then you get into smaller hidden differences. For instance some run hydro oil coolers while others don't, things like that and each brand has a thing or two that makes it unique.