Ferris IS1500 or Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by La_Cutter, Aug 8, 2008.

1. La_Cutter

La_Cutter LawnSite Member

I think I have the ZTR selection narrowed to the Ferris IS1500 or Scag Tiger Cub. Both are the same price and 48" deck. The Ferris a 21hp Kaw and the Cub has a 19 hp Kaw.

Which one should have the best cut mulching, and is one more durable and reliable than the other?

Thanks!

2. fishmagnet

fishmagnet LawnSite Member
    from Texas

The Scag & Ferris are equally durable, but the cut advantage goes to Scag, while the ride comfort advantage easily goes to the Ferris.

Both are awesome, well built, machines!

We have the Ferris 1500 48" 21hp Kaw, and the 21Kaw is a 'hoss' of an engine!:weightlifter:

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

ive used both and would go for the scag when just comparing the mowers. but when comparing everything it would all come down to the dealer. i dont run scags currently b/c of the local dealer, however he's been nicer recently and im gonna use him for stihl stuff and if he continues to get better he could very well win my business. so in my book it mostly boils down to the dealer. i do agree w/ the above post, but think that dealer support is key.

4. La_Cutter

Is the 19 hp enough for the Scag 48"? I can also get a 61" Cub with the 23hp Vanguard for another $200. Any of the other model cubs have a big increase in price.

The Scag dealer has a good reputation, and there are several other Scag dealers in the area. The Ferris dealer has a good reputation for other products, but I didn't even knew they sold Ferris until yesterday. I've never seen a Ferris in use in my area by a homeowner or commercial. The commercial users in my area or probably 50% Scag, 30% Hustler, 15% Exmark and the remainder being other brands.

5. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

19hp sounds a little low for mulching. I've never mulched with my Ferris, other than just throwing Gators on for leaves in the fall. I've always heard to go with the biggest engine you can get. If you keep sharp blades on the Ferris, I think you'll be very pleased with it's cut quality. Mine need to be sharpened before I use it again next week, but it still cut great today.

I really wouldn't get a 61" mower with only 23hp. I know the Vanguards are beasts, but you need more power than that. Bad Boy puts that engine on 48" and even their 36" mower. I've run a Deere 757 60" with 25hp and it felt weak.

Ferris didn't used to have any mowers in this area either, but the local Deere dealer started carrying them and they've sold a ton. As far as commercial mowers, they don't sell any Deeres anymore, it's all Ferris. See if you can get a demo for each mower. You'll like the ride of the Ferris, especially if the tires have the right pressure (about 12psi on the rear and 20psi on the front is what I'm running if I remember correctly).

6. dura to the max

from georgia

are you going to bag, mulch, or discharge? if you are going to primarily discharge i would be fine with the 19hp. heck, for $200 i would get the 61", but thats just me knowing what i cut.

7. La_Cutter

I'll be mulching St. Augustine, hopefully only once a week. This time of the year and with the amount of rain we've had in the past month, my grass can grow about .75"-1"/day.

8. dura to the max

from georgia

then get more hp. it'll bog down like crazy w/ that much grass.

9. La_Cutter

I think you're right, but the price for the Scag is very tempting. The next model up on the 48" is a 23hp Kohler, for an additional $1600.

I may need to look at the 54" Ferris with the 25hp Kaw for $800 more than the 19 hp Kaw Cub.

10. dura to the max

from georgia

that last ferris you mentioned sounds like the best for the $$$. all depends on what size you need.