Ferris IS1500z or Toro Z440

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dsmill, Jul 17, 2005.

1. dsmill

dsmill LawnSite Member
    from NW Oh

OK I’m getting ready to take the plunge to a zero-turn. Here’s my situation.
    Home owner with 2 acres. My old Craftsman just isn’t getting it done any more.
    I’m looking at either a Ferris IS 1500z 21hp & 48” deck, or a Toro Z440 with 19hp & 48” deck.

The prices are about the same. They are both right at $5500.

The Dealers:
    Toro - Claims he has the largest Toro/Wheelhorse showroom in the world. He’s built a great business and from what I hear has great service. He charges $40 to both pickup and deliver to my area. He sells only lawn and garden equipment.

Ferris – This dealer is a Ferris Platinum dealer. They also are a farm implement dealer. He also has a great reputation with his farm customers. He only charges $26 to pickup and deliver.

My lawn is flat but bumpy, so I’m leaning toward the Ferris. I’m planning on having both dealers drop off the units some Friday, so I can compare both on my yard and look at them side by side.

Opinions/Suggestions???
    :dizzy:

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have a IS 3000 Ferris and its a great mower. The suspension really helps out on rough ground. I would take the IS 1500 over the Toro but thats just me. Both of them are good mowers and your doing the right thing by demo-ing each of them on your own property.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

5500 is right about dealer cost on that toro z 440 I got a good deal on mine compared to some guys and paid 5995. Are you sure its a 440 and not a z400?

Price for the ferris looks decent from what I been quoted down here. Dealer just opened here and I test road a 52 inch 23 hp around his really bumpy parking lot and it was pretty plush. The deck on the toro is heavier built and from what I seen the cut is a bit better too.

4. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

I have the Ferris 1500Z 21HP/48". I think it's a great machine. I never demoed Toro so let us know how the comparison goes.

5. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I would get the Ferris because of the A-arms. :)