Ferris IS1500Z or Wright ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnl77, Jan 7, 2008.

1. johnl77

johnl77 LawnSite Member

I am considering both the Ferris and the Wright for my 10 acres (both 21/48). I mow 2 acres of lawn each week and the remaining 8 acres of rough (mostly flat) terrain about four times a year. I also wish to pull a light trailer and a weed wick wiper. My questions are:
    1. The Ferris suspension should suit the rough terrain better, however, the Wright suspension seat may be adequate?
    2. The Wright has bigger hydros but no trailer hitch option, the Ferris has the hitch option. Is the Wright used with trailers?
    3. I have read a lot about the IS1500Z but can't find many reports about the Wright ZTR. Are many being used?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i own a ferris 1500 48" cut, it's a great mower for the bumps i've had mine three years warranty runs out april 09 i got extended warranty from dealer. well worth it a lot of problems with hydros and front end falling apart. i wouldn't keep it past the warranty time to repair hydro's each around $2400 to replace.don't know much about wright but if i were you i would buy john deere 757 or 797 with 60" cut

3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Dont use something like this as a bush hog type mower only 4 times a year grass can get pretty high and tuff to cut and will be very very hard on a turf type of mower

4. johnl77

johnl77 LawnSite Member

Cost is a factor for me and in Australia prices are roughly twice the US prices. The JD 757 is around A$15,000.
    I graze cattle on the 8 acres so the grass doesn't get too high. The mowing is just to tidy up and encourage more grass growth. I have mowed the 8 acres occassionaly with a 52inch MTD lawn tractor. I was hoping the Ferris or the Wright would handle it OK.

5. johnl77

johnl77 LawnSite Member

I bought the Wright and am really happy with it.
    It meets my needs perfectly - the design and build quality is really impressive.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Congratulations:)Do you have any pictures Mate:)

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Wright ZTR....

If you are going to look at Ferris... start at the IS2000

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The Wrights are pretty nice. I think you'll be happy with it! They're also freakin light. 900 some-odd pounds. Very unusual for a Z of that caliber. Can you feel the reduced height? 3" doesn't sound like much, but it may feel like quite a bit.

9. johnl77

johnl77 LawnSite Member

John

Picture attached - Wright Z in our back yard.
    The cattle came up to check out the competition.

Wright ZTR.jpg

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sweet! How deep is the deck?