Ferris IS1500Z v. Exmark Lazer HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by graystone, Apr 11, 2005.

1. graystone

graystone LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. I am new to the site and have a question about zero turn mowers. I own a farm and mow approximately seven or eight acres. Some of the terrain is slightly hilly and bumpy. I am looking to purchase a new zero turn mower to cut down my mowing time and have narrowed the search to two models. I would appreciate everyone's opinion on which is the best option. The two options are:

Ferris IS 1500Z - 52 inch deck with a 25HP Kawasaki

Exmark Lazer Z HP - 52 inch deck with a 23 HP Kawasaki

I was quoted a price of $6800 for the Ferris and $7500 for the Exmark. Do you think these are fair prices? Which is the better machine? The dealer also has a used (90 hours) Exmark Lazer Z HP (52 in /23 Kohler) for $6300. It has one year left on the warranty.

I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you.

2. gruberlawncare

gruberlawncare LawnSite Member

hey there i did alot of research i found hat for the money go exmark it lasts alot longer and its realabilty is awsome i bought a exmark lazer and i love it

3. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

I just picked up my 1500Z 21hp/48" this weekend for my 20 acre farm. I am using it where my tractor-pulled finish mower can't go, like where I have heavy pines and around trees and to trim along fence lines.

I can tell you mine cuts great including the heavy stuff. I used it on some serious brush/pine needles and it easily chewed it up. I don't have any hills (Florida) but I do have bumpy terrain and it works awesome. The suspension works really well.

I was looking at Exmark as well as Hustler and I think for the money, the Ferris is a great deal. But to me the mower on a suspension to absorb shock makes more sense then a suspension seat absorbing the shock while the rest of the mower gets punished.

Good luck.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would get the exmark with the 23 kohler. my dealer has had tons of problems with kawasaki's. he's done 3 reborings of the cylinders while he's done nothing on the kohlers. also with the kawasaki's you have to bring them in after the first 50 hours to have the cylinder gap adjusted.

the kawi's are really fine tunned machines, but they can't handle any contaminants that get in to the system.

5. graystone

graystone LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. A dealer is going to drop off the Ferris tonight for me to test. He is also going to bring a one year old Ferris IS 3000 with a 61 inch deck and a 27HP Kohler. It has 115 hours on it. The dealer is asking $6900 for it. Does that sound like a good deal. Should I be concerned about buying a slightly used machine with low hours on it? Why would someone trade in a mower with so few hours on it?

I hope to test the Exmark later this week. Thanks again for the input.

6. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

When I was looking at mowers, my dealer had a 2003 IS3000 27/61 and it was offered to me at $7099. It was never registered and carried the full warranty. It was stored outside and looked a little rough and had a bad paint touch-up job. The IS3000 was too big for me or I probably would have taken it. $6900 seems high for that machine you're referencing or the one I saw was a great deal.

Why someone would get rid of it is a good question. One you may never find the true answer to.

Keep us posted on what you think of the Ferris. Are they bringing a 52" 1500Z?

7. Spirit Lanwcare

Spirit Lanwcare LawnSite Member

Buy the ExMark!

Better machine for a little more money. The new Ferris IS 1500 is a homeowner toy compared to the Lazer HP!

8. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

Have you actually driven and compared the two? The 1500Z is definitely not a homeowners toy.

Also, the HP does not come with a suspension seat and graystone said he has bumpy terrain, so a suspension seat or a suspension would be a must.

Graystone is doing the right thing and testing on site. Please get back to us with your findings. I'm interested to know if the Ferris is a toy. :rolleyes:

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

??? I have never heard of that. Is this in the owner's manual? Or did someone tell you that?

Our Ferris 3000IS (61", 25hp Kawasaki) has been great. I think there is 500 hours on it. Full suspension makes a huge difference. I don't think I'll buy another mower without suspension.

Exmark makes excellent machines also.

But the suspension does it for me. And for my guys, they argue over who gets to run the Ferris.

10. Spirit Lanwcare

Spirit Lanwcare LawnSite Member

Drove them both and had them side by side.

The ExMark has a stronger frame, bigger tires, better pumps and motors etc.etc. You can add a suspension seat.

The frame on the IS1500 is much lighter and looks like a homeowner mower. You can't put a mower out for hundreds of dollars less than their other models without cutting corners. You get what you pay for!

Overall quality goes to the Lazer HP!