1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris Is2000 Model Zkav2561

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 8691, Nov 10, 2006.

1. 8691

8691 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

We have 5 1/2 acres and it takes us the whole weekend to cut it with a tractor and riding mower.

After looking at all brands and over the last 6 moths I like the Ferris IS2000 with the Kawasaki 25 the best for the money and quality?

Is $7,500 a good deal?

Thank you in advance for you time,

2. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

What size deck? 52 or 61? If it's the 61", It's a very good deal, retails for around $8599. If it's the 52" It's a fair price. Retail is $7999.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto that! ^

For that kind of acreage you need a 61" or 72".
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Just my 2 cents. I live within 30 miles of Ferris Industries, and I know one of the district sales managers... I used to work next door to a dealership. When I bought my IS2000, he told me not to go with the Kawi, get the Kohler. More power, and he claims that the motor lasts just as long, but cheaper to replace motor and parts. We just finished our first year with it, no problems whatsoever... only put on 300 hours, but still no problems. I know a local guy that bought one and put a bagger on it, not enough power for the bagger when pulling upstate new york hills.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you can, grab a copy of the September issue of Turf Magazine. My company field tested a Ferris IS2000 Z with the 27 hp Kohler and 61" deck for 7 weeks. I ran the mower myself quite a bit and wrote up the report personally word for word.
  6. 8691

8691 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

It is 61" Kawasaki 25

I agree I think Kohler makes a better product, but I have a very good friend that is a Kawi mechanic and he is the one that will be doing the service on it.

Thank you again for all the input!

I will let you know if it is everything I think it will be.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

I've had no trouble out of the 25hp Kawasaki's.
  8. formula500

formula500 LawnSite Member

How are the new 2000is I am looking at the 52" 25 kaw, How does it cut in wet grass and how good is the collection unit on it? any info would be appreciated. Looking to purchase a new ztr this spring its going to be either ferris or scag, ferris is in town and scag dealer is next town over, any info would be appreciated.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Just a suggestion here...

But you might be well served to start a thread and specifically ask about the 52" Ferris

That deck and collection unit have been around a long time unchanged on other machines.

On the other hand, the IS2000 is pretty new and Ferris is not a massive seller.
    Not sure you'll get enough feedback being specific of the IS2000
  10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

My Ferris with the Kaw is just fine. You have to look at the hydro pumps also, as they are turning the wheels.