Ferris IS2000z - dies when brake is released

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by daggraham, May 5, 2010.

1. daggraham

daggraham LawnSite Member

hi - banging my head on this one

I have a ferris IS2000z with the 25 hp kawa - starts and runs great until you release the brake then it dies....also if you get off the seat with the brake set it dies (should keep running as long as the brake is set - this happened last year as well and I removed all switches and checked them for operation they seemed ok i.e NC NO as per spec. Replaced everything and then it begin operating correctly. any thoughts? thanks in advance

2. bigjimdaddy

bigjimdaddy LawnSite Member

My Ferris 2000Z is having the exact same problems. I replaced the safety switches and it didn't help. Could it be the time delay modules? If you figure it out, please let me know. The mower is 1.5 years old.

3. daggraham

that is what I am thinking it started last time after I removed the module and reinstalled it - I didn't do anything to the module other than that

4. bigjimdaddy

After I replaced the brake switch, the engine will only run when the brake is released! Weird. It has to be the modules acting up. I ordered a new one today (about $50) but it was covered under warrantee since the machine is only 1.5 years old. Please let me know if you figure it out and I'll do the same.

How many hours do you have on yours?

5. daggraham

just over 400 - it is 3 years old - I'm going to order a module tomorrow as well was just looking over the schematic and I don't see another likely cause.

I will keep you posted - thanks for your input

6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Safest mower in the world! Won't run.

7. daggraham

It turned out to be the time delay module

8. cbegap

cbegap LawnSite Member

Had the same problem on my Bob cat. Half the module went out so it acted the same as yours. New Module fixed the problem.

9. bigjimdaddy

Mine turned out to be the front relay switch.

10. r6 tech 413

r6 tech 413 LawnSite Member

what does the time delay actually do? is it nessesary to have, or can that circuit just be cut out?