Ferris IS2100Z or IS3100Z???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MetropolisLakeOutfitters, May 9, 2014.

1. MetropolisLakeOutfitters

MetropolisLakeOutfitters LawnSite Member

Please help me decide on a model. My back is killing me as I have a bad back but have pretty rough ground to mow. Wanting to get a Ferris due to the suspension.

I demo'ed an IS2000Z, it was fine. The engine did bog down a few times in taller grass and didn't like it when the blades engaged but otherwise it was comfortable.

I like the idea of the IS2100Z with the larger tires and other updates, plus it was easier to be accurate around trees and structures with the new integrated transmission, but the ones they carry locally for $8,400 are 26 hp vs. 29 hp on the one I borrowed. So, I'm concerned about the power a little, losing 3 hp from the one I tried.

The next step up is an IS3100Z with a 36 hp Big Block, but we're talking about $11,800 plus tax. With the fees and tax I'm looking at a $265 payment, which is just kind of pushing what seems to be sane in my opinion. Strangely, just jumping on the back of one, it actually flexed less than an IS2100Z, but I'm not sure if this is telling of anything. I guess I'm mainly wondering, is it really worth a nearly 50% upcharge from a 26 hp IS2100Z to get the true independent suspension and a 36 hp Vanguard big block?

There is a third option, basically there are a few IS3100Z's with a 30 hp Briggs Cyclonic engine for $8,500-$9,000 depending on the dealer. Is this the thing to do or is that too little of an engine for that big of a machine?

From what I can tell, an IS2100Z should suit my needs just fine but I'm afraid I'll kick myself for not going bigger. Thoughts?

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You only live once, satisfy yourself with the mower you will never need to wonder...what-if??? The 3100 is so far advanced to the 2100 it would be like the difference in buying a box store homeowner mower when comparing to a true commercial grade 3100. There is absolutely no comparison, it's your money and you know what you can and can't do financially, but knowing what I know about these two machines I would go without eating a few meals a week to pay the difference for the 3100.

3. skew

skew LawnSite Member

I would say if you have less than 5 acres to mow then the 2100 if its more then the 3100 hands down. Or just get the 3100 and never wonder or regret buying it. I had a is2000z 30hp/61" for a year and whole time I wished I would have bought the 3100. Now I am riding a 3100 36hp/72"

4. puppypaws

You've got a real mower my friend...3100 36 Vanguard / 72" is at the top of the food chain.

5. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Go get the 3100. AWESOME machine
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Is this for you're home?

Personally I think 10k+ for a mower to cut your yard is kind of borderline insane lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. puppypaws

If you can afford it what difference does it make...it's only money?

8. skew

skew LawnSite Member

Call me crazy then lol I mow about 20 acres 1-2 times a week :) My 3100 is a grass processing unit not a lawn mower! It takes me about 2hr15 min each time I mow and when I am finished I feel relaxed and its a joy to mow not a hassle like it use to be when it use to take 8-10 hrs on a tractor with a finishing mower.

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

20 acres twice a week is slightly different than 1-2 a week lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Big question is how much grass are you mowing???

Also there are other engine options on the IS2100, if you are worried about power. What 29 HP engine did you try on the IS2000?

That 26HP Briggs Vanguard on the IS2100 is a relative of the 30HP Cyclonic or Commercial Turf or whatever they are calling it today(which is now rated at 27HP). They are all 810cc.

For home use, and not running a bagger the 30HP Cyclonic would be ok on the 3100 but if you were bogging a 2000 down you may want to stick with the Big Block Vanguard since the 3100 has the large pumps.