Ferris IS2100Z or IS3100Z???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MetropolisLakeOutfitters, May 9, 2014.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds to me as though you were really impressed with the JD and only needed a little more hp for you to be perfectly happy. I believe if I were you, I would try and work a deal with the JD.
  2. TeamYardsale4

TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member

They don't have as many engines to choose from, and for me to get a bigger engine (25.5 Kawi in a 54" instead 23.5 Kawi in a 54") I need to upgrade from the M series to the R which is a $2k upgrade putting me up around the $12k mark and I really don't want to go that high ( and my wife would kill me haha)
  3. TeamYardsale4

TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't demo the 2100 until weds this week so I've never even driven a ferris
  4. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma

If you have any slopes.....go side to side and turn quick - they will scalp on slopes.
  5. puppypaws

You may be satisfied with the 2100, and if so, do not get onto a 3100. The 3100 is a true commercial mower, whereas the 2100 is teetering between commercial and homeowner grade. I'm not only saying this from personal experience, Ferris themselves are actually the ones that made the statement, "we consider the 2100 as just making it into the low end commercial range, with the 3100 being our first true commercial mower in the lineup." There is so much difference in the 2100 and 3100 it's like the difference in night and day.
  6. JTLarson

JTLarson LawnSite Member

I run a 3100, 32 big block, 72" cut. Over 1000 hours on it so far. Motor is strong, even on a 72. I have used 1.4-1.8 gph depending on terrain and mowing conditions. I have never been on a 2100, but I know guys that run the 5100 diesels and they think a 3100 is rough compared to theirs, so I assume it would be the same going to the 2100 from a 3100.
    I think u will be amazed with the ride of a Ferris verses a rigid zero turn. The ICD deck gives a very good cut also.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. puppypaws

The 3100 is the mower to own, the 5100 is a tank, being extremely heavy is what makes the mower ride somewhat better, but with the additional weight comes other problems.