1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ferris IS2500 vs IS2000 on sidehills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IndyTim, Nov 24, 2011.

1. IndyTim

IndyTim LawnSite Member

I've narrowed my new machine choices down to either a JD z925 or a Ferris IS2000 or IS2500. I'll be mowing a property with quite a few long sidehills (3/8 mile), with some steep up and down as well. A lot of bumps/embedded rock in the ground around here which is why the Ferris appeals.

The diesel IS2500 is attractive in terms of fuel savings and longevity. It's about a $2000 difference in price, and I think I can justify that.

But I'm wondering about the extra weight of the 2500 vs the 2000, and the fact that the engine sits so much higher on the chassis. It's about 400 lbs heavier than the 2000. I'm not sure where all that extra weight is carried - is it chiefly in the engine?

I'm thinking that extra weight sitting up relatively high is not going to be a friend on the sidehills or on the down slopes. Although from a traction standpoint it should help going uphill.

Anyone have any experience with the IS2500 on hills?
  2. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo the mowers and others on that property.
  3. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

You will shocked how well the ferris holds hills. We demoed a 5000 and it did great just not much use for the mower. We got the 3100z and it is great.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Grassmaster9

Grassmaster9 LawnSite Member

I don't have any experience with the JD but have spent countless hours on the Ferris IS2000. It is a great mower and you can mow ANYTHING with it, but at the dealer I use you can get the 3100 for just $600 more and the traction is better. I find that the IS2000 is very light and the traction isn't great but once you get used to it you can mow anything with it. Very dependable also. The 3100 is great, it would be my first choice, no doubt about it.
  5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Had a 2500 on demo this year and it did not hold hills at all. The 2000's are great on a hillside though.
  6. IndyTim

IndyTim LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback. The 2000 seems to be the real sweet spot for a lot of reasons. I can get a decent price on a 3100, but I think it's a bit big for my jobs.

Looking forward to demoing the 2000 in a couple weeks.
  7. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I would demo both if you could, I have a 3100 and a 1500 and the 3100 does fairly well on hills although I had a John Deere f620 that was great on hills.