Ferris IS2500Z 61" w/ Yanmar Diesel (Update and Issues)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Sonnie Parker, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker LawnSite Member

For the record, it appears that Ferris is at least now making more effort... and has agreed to try to work with me in trading the mowers in for the 36HP Vanguard 3100 models, which is about the only thing that will satisfy me at this point. It seems from everyone I have spoken too... which is quite a few dealers and reps, I am a lot less likely to have issues with the 3100. And I would also have a fresh warranty and not a couple of heavily repaired machines that are about to run out of warranty and will likely continue to break. I will keep the thread updated on the progress.

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I know there were some issues with the 2500 early on with the tensioner springs...other than that I am not very familiar with the those machines.

I would not say they are not commercial but comparing them to the 3100/5100 is a huge difference.

I would question the dealer a bit more. Switches and other parts on backorder for so long??? Unless they use a different switch than most of the other models I have never had to wait very long on parts from our Ferris distributor. Sure a part gets backordered here or there but a switch? Not very often.

I dont have a huge number of Ferris's out there, but I have had very few problems with the ones I have sold. Honestly few problems with all the manufacturers we deal with(Bobcat and Wright are the lines we sell more of).

3. Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

Had a Ferris 2500z last year, in 27 cutting hours it broke down nine times. No problem with engine just "everything else" I got my money back.

4. Sonnie Parker

I guess I could get a little more detailed. [​IMG]

Seriously?

Of course Ferris tells me that they have sold thousands of these in the commercial industry with no problems at all. I guess those lawn companies leave them at their shop and use a different mower.

5. Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

Stupid things went wrong with it. Just poor build quality. If you want a tough machine buys Ransomes, I have one with 4000 hours on the clock as good as new.

6. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

After this experience I wouldn't even want a 3100...
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I wish you could get the chance to run the 2500 and 3100 in the same area, you cannot believe the difference until you experience it for yourself. I find it hard to believe a company would allow that much difference in a one step down mower.

8. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member

I can't believe they (Ferris) actually put a diesel engine in the lower end - lighter duty - unit/frames.....it would be like Scag putting a diesel on a Freedom Z lol. Their 3100 is sooooo much more of a machine in every way.

9. Sonnie Parker

My dealer agrees 100%... says the difference is pretty serious. He also says they have had zero... literally zero issues with the 3100's.

10. Tanum

Tanum LawnSite Member

Over this side of the pond gas / petrol is very expensive. On diesel machinery we can use dyed or marked diesel which we can also claim tax against. Not so with petrol, it would be my preference for diesel mowers all the way. Like I said I had no problems with the engine just crazy things going wrong with a brand new machine. Petrol is €1.57 per lt.
    Drive belt pully tensioner breaking. Hydraulic motor stopping, deck jumping on uneven ground at low speed, wheels cutting up ground, blades giving uneven cut, pulling to left despite adjustment, belts coming of at start up, there were other issues such as nuts falling off. I don't know, I have two other walk behind Ferris mowers which a great and well well built. Like come on guys, how hard is it to have line works tighten nuts on a machine? I am not kidding I must have tightend about 30 different nuts and bolts on the machine in the first week alone. Tge machine was doing light work only, around edges, kerbs and trees the bulk of the cutting is done with the ransomes parkway. I was very disappointed, I remember when ferris made tough well made innovative machines. They are losing what made them great, they can't hide behind their name anymore.
    I bet if they slowed down there production line quality would return.
    Posted via Mobile Device