Ferris IS3000 z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsaunders, May 23, 2003.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking at getting a Z. Either the IS 3000 with the kaw 25hp or the Is 3000 Extreme with the 27 Hp Kohler and the better seat. Any one demo the 2 and have any thoughts either or. I liked the fact the the kohler was quieter then the Kaw. The seat also has a higher seat back on the extreme. I'll just have to go and find a dealer that has the 2 different models and try them- but if you have any feed back( rodfather) :D IT would be appreciated. Thankyou, Joel
  2. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Any help? The 25 kaw or the 27 Kohler? Thanks
  3. Both are great but I am a kohler man but go with the best price and deal.Ferris has a great warranty so you cant lose.Best of luck
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We have Gravelys, I have 2 with Kohler 27 motors and one with a Kawasaki 25.

Question: Can you get the EFI Kohler 28 as an option?

Realistically, the two engines have the same power. You have to look at torque and I think they are both rated around 43 lb-ft. of torque.

Our Kawasaki 25 has more power and is smoother at full throttle than the Kohler. The Kawasaki can run wide open all day.

The Kohlers are unpleasant at full throttle. We always run them at 3/4 at most. The Kohler seems to have more bottom end power.

The Kohlers have been more reliable. The Kawasaki has had to have a carb replaced and lots of spark plugs.

You would have to decide, of course keep price in mind.

If they are charging more for the Kohler 27 forget it and get the Kawasaki. Remember, the Kohler 27 is just THE DREADED KOHLER 25 with a bigger cam and carb jets.

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own both couple are is3000z 2 wheels indepent suspension and the other are the extreme which have 4 WIS.

If you can afford the extreme go for it you won't regret it, it has a better ride, more power for those rainy season, four wheels indepent suspension, the price difference is worth it. If price is a concern than stick with the kawa, still a good machine, me I preffer the extreme now that I own one, but before I was real please with the regular, coming from a 3 wheller, I think now even the regular is3000z has four whels indepent suspension, but i'm not sure tough, which is a big plus.