Ferris IS3100 with 26HP Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JoshC, Mar 7, 2007.

1. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

This is my first post on the site but I have been checking it out for a couple of weeks. Definately lots of good info here. I have seen a few people talking about the IS3100 but no real definate answers to my question. The dealer that is less than 5 minutes from me has one with the 26HP LC Kawasaki and 61" deck for $9000 plus tax. Will the Kawasaki engine be able to handle the 61" deck, especially come fall time and I am running a bagger also? The dealer seems to think so, but I am skeptical. Many of the lawns I mow are only done every 10-14 days so grass is usual thick.

I currently use a Toro with a 20HP Kohler and 52" deck and I hate the thing. It doesn't bog down too much except for when I'm mulching but it can't stick to a hill to save my life. I have also used an IS4000 with a 72" deck and the 32HP Vanguard and love the thing.

Should I go to my local dealer who I have good luck with and get the Kawasaki for $9000 or should I consider traveling some distance to get one with the 32HP Vanguard for about $800-1000 more?

Thanks for any help
    Josh

2. Illini_Fan

Illini_Fan LawnSite Member

I run the 26 liquid cooled Kaw and it runs my 52 in. deck and my blower with no problem at all. the problem is the $9000. There are new machines out there with the 32 Vanguard that are only $8300 and $8000 with the LC Kaw.

3. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

I have been doing as much searching as I possibly can, mostly on dealer's websites and email unfortunately since there is no other dealer close, and the cheapest I could find one with a Vanguard was $9300. I did find an IS2000 with the Kawi for $8000.

Could you maybe point me in the direction of one of those $8300 Vanguards? I am off all next week, so I guess I may be making a roadtrip.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

26 hp for a 61" deck is fine...I have one.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I would spend the little extra and get the motor that I was confident in having plenty of power for my needs.

6. springover

springover LawnSite Member

I am looking at the same Ferris mower, except they all want 9800.00 here...I think the LC Kawasaki will be plenty of engine...Probably the best engine in the 3100 model...

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

31 vanguard.

8. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

JoshC,

What dealer did you get that quote from?

9. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

The 26 LC on my 2000 with the 61" deck does good. And even pulling some of my hills.
    Was cutting some 12" old grass on a hill today. And it did fine.
    But it may take more Hp to turn the big spindles then the ones on my 2000Z.
    Pete

10. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

The dealer was West Davie Power Equipment. They opened a few years ago and are pretty small. I think they only have two 2000's, two 3100's, one of the 3-wheeled ones, a few Snappers, and a couple of Walkers. I knew the guy even before he opened the business, so I believe that quote I got was "my price." I think it may be more for somebody else.

Illini_Fan can you point me in the direction of one of those $8300 Vanguards? Hoping to have a new mower possibily by the end of next week.