Ferris is3100z or Gravely 272H XDZ ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I own all Ferris equipment, and am looking to add a 72" deck mower in a couple months. I have not driven the is3100z but any who own it love it. I do love the suspension on them and really want to stick with it but i recently demoed the Gravely at the Kentucky landscape expo the end of October and thought it was pretty nice.

I honestly didnt consider the Gravely because it was a diesel, probably much more expensive and out of my budget. I'd love a diesel Ferris, but both 4500z/5100z mowers with a Cat Diesel weigh 2000+ lbs

I know that for $10,600~ i can get the Ferris is3100z 72" mower with 32hp Briggs Vangaurd gas engine.

For $10,700~ i can get the Gravely 272h xdz 72" deck mower with a 27hp briggs vangaurd/Daihatsu 3 cylinder diesel, its actually the very same motor i have on my 06 Simplicity Legacy XL tractor.

Is 27hp even in the diesel enough for the 72" deck? The gravely lacks suspension :( but does 13mph compared to the Ferris 12mph. All of my current machines do 10mph so these feel like they fly to me :dancing:

On my Shaft driven deck Simplicity tractor, ive cut some lawns with it this pas summer, a 60" 3 blade deck and although i think 27hp had mower overall power than my 27hp kohler command gas engine in my 61" Ferris ZTR, once it did bog down in semi-thick grass, it seems to stay bogged down around 1700rpms until you reallly slow down to let it catch back up. Its too bad Gravely doesnt offer the turbocharged version of this engine because i think on Briggs site, its rated at 34hp which would be perfect, considering the turbo version adds marginal additional weight.

I love the idea though of a sub 11k diesel mower thats around ~1500lbs with a 72" deck. I think the engine would be plenty reliable. The Ferris 4500z 72" deck with the gas Briggs vangaurd water cooled 35hp would be almost 13k!

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Heard rumor on here that Gravely will offer the 40hp air cooled Kohler for 2008 which will probably come on the 72" deck. I don't know pricing, but I thought that might be an option to consider.
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

That would be neat for sure but i doubt it, maybe an09 model? Most manufacturers had ALL their newest stuff, even stuff not released yet at the KY expo in October, Gravely had a few stand up models not even on their website and i dont remember seeing a kohler engine of that size, no kohler models at all though.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Check Gravely's website. They have the 31hp Kawasaki on the 60, 66 (new), and 72 inch decks and the 40hp Kohler on the 66 and 72 inch decks. Plus they have the 31hp Turbo Daihatsu back.
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

your right, they must have just updated it! 31hp turbo is gonna be better than the 27hp non turbo thats like the motor i have on my tractor. and a 40hp kohler , bada$$ .. Im definitly gonna price out one of the 272H 31hp turbo diesels then, if its around the 32hp gas ferris, its a no brainer.
  6. Apples

Apples LawnSite Senior Member

Another possible option could be, a 2005 Ferris IS 5000 diesel with a 72" deck for $8500.
  7. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Still waiting on the 40HP Kohler to arrive at the dealership. The 31 HP Kawi came in last week. Might uncrate it this week. :D
  8. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

If you set the Gravely's front axle to pivot it makes for a better ride. It does scalp easier if your not careful though.

I think you should get the Gravely for sure, but I wouldn't let that 1 MPH make a difference for you. I have very few spots where I would even consider going 13 MPH, it's just flat out scary on uneven ground. It feels more like 25 MPH LOL.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Gravelynut,Why did gravely go back to the 5" deep deck?? Is this the same deck thats on the walks??
  10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with GravelyGuy ... with a choice between either Ferris or Gravely, my preference would be Gravely !!