Ferris IS5000 maintenance nightmare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wayupnorth, Jun 26, 2005.

1. wayupnorth

wayupnorth LawnSite Member

I am thinking about a IS5000 but remember someone who worked on them and thought they were not thought out well. Any thoughts from owners out there? Also shaft drive vs. belt driven decks, any thoughts on advantages, one over the other.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have an IS 3000 that we bought new back in the spring and it is very easy to maintain. Maintenance on the machine could not be easier. I don't know why anyone would call them a maintenance nightmare. With a belt drive you have less parts to break and in my opinion a belt drive is just as good as a shaft with less parts.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I brought up the issue of poor design on Ferris machines, as it relates to routine maint. You can read my observations in a current thread titled "Ferris IS1500, pros and cons".
    I work on many brands of ZTR's, and personally feel Ferris has numerous design problems that become obvious when trying to do routine maint. and repairs on them. I work on all major brands of ZTR's, and Ferris is the brand I would prefer not come through our shop doors.

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a IS4000 and it's no different than any other machine. It's pretty simple to do maintainence. I just sharpened blades and greased mine a bit ago and I was done in 20 minutes. I have no clue what could be so hard about it? The best part is how smooth they ride. Your body will thank you if you buy a Ferris IS.

5. wayupnorth

wayupnorth LawnSite Member

Mowingman, yes it was your post that I remember about poor design. I thought about that as I demo`ed a 4500 the other day. I mentioned that it looked to be a big job to change a belt on it. In all fairness it might not be bad once you get into it. It rode good and held on to the side of the hills better than a ZD28 Kubota I tried out, but that sure could have been my inexperance with the feel of the machine too.