Ferris Mower leaving strips uncut near the middle of the deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

how old are your blades on the 48"s...bet they are starting to get rounded toward the ends. explains why all are cutting poorly, 61" im assuming doesnt use the same size blade...explains why its not. Buy a new set of blades for the 48" see if that fixes problem, if your going to stay in business you will need new blades eventually...they dont last forever!

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I get high lift gator mulching blades from Russo power equipment for like $780 a blade.

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

$7.80 didnt mean to scare you haha

4. mr mow

if your going to get gators(which is all i use) get oregons...seems they are the only ones worth a damn. I have tried other brands too. As far as the magnums go, i have a set but not impressed. like the highlift oregon gators. just my 2cents

5. Southernlandscape343

Southernlandscape343 LawnSite Member

How much do those go for? I'd prefer sticking with a name like oregon, reliable and I'm sure they'll stick up for their product. I just looked and I have about a quarter of an inch at most between my two blades. I'll get the mower out tomorrow after I go to the dentist :hammerhead: and take a picture or two of the blades now along with a tape measure so you can see how far apart they are. I just put the trailer back in the garage so I'm not really wanting to go back out and redo what I just did. Even pushed the trailer with all the equipment by hand back into the garage :weightlifter: haha. Appreciate yall's help.

6. mr mow

you wont probably be able to tell by looking at the gap between blades. take a pic of your blades when off the mower, if there is an arc on the cutting edge...then your losing your blade tip(nothing you did, its from wear). hard for me to explain, im sure someone else can explain or has a pic of what im talking about. As far as prices on oregons, last set i bought was last year..dont really remember probably something like 15 to 20 a blade.?.

7. mr mow

blade tip does most of the cutting

8. Southernlandscape343

Well I called around and nobody had the oregons. So I went with the Gator high lift. Huge diffrence! I didn't have to double cut any yards today (cut 2) it did great on fescue too. Only problem was from me lol I accidently left my vise grips attatched to the spindle and started the mower up and engaged the blade. I knew right away something was wrong. huge amount of vibration, so the vise grips flew out from under the mower, the blad has a little dent in it, nothing too bad. Still cuts flawlessly. The vise grips on the otherhand haha were bent pretty badly and are an example of not double checking your work to make sure there are no tools left under the mower. Luckily I'm fine and the mower is fine other than a scratch under the deck. Ferris makes those decks bulletproof. :cool2:

9. mr mow

well im glad to hear that worn blades was the problem. next question... your changing your blades with vice grips??

10. Southernlandscape343

It was just to keep the spindle from turning as I tightened the bolt that holds the blade back down. I used my torque wrench for removing and tightening the bolts.