Ferris Mower leaving strips uncut near the middle of the deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

ah! if you can afford it. invest $100 in a cheap cordless impact, you cant go wrong i promise. imho.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

ok a torque wrench should never be used to remove bolts. Its ok to put them on but not necessary. In the field i use wrenches at home i use impact gun.

3. Southernlandscape343

Southernlandscape343 LawnSite Member

What's wrong with using the torque wrench? longer handle makes it so much easier. I've tried using a cordless impact wrench but it didn't have enough torque.

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

it will damage the tourqe wrench. They should only be used to tighten. Use a breaker bar so you dont ruin the settings on your wrench.

5. mr mow

probably cause you had alot of leverage and the blade bolt doesnt need that much. Didnt even think about the use of the torque wrench(when i read it)...not a good idea. Are you even torqueing it to spec or because of longer handle your just "torqueing on it"! Seriously....cordless impact is the way to go....in the future maybe. just trying to add my 2cents not trying to critical. Goodluck!

6. mr mow

dont know about loosening with a torque wrench...but i know they are presice instruments and they are only made for one thing torqueing to spec. But you need to know what that spec is.

7. Southernlandscape343

Southernlandscape343 LawnSite Member

for my mower the owners manual said 70 ft lbs. So I did just that. Its a walmart bought torque wrench, never had any problems with it. Also use it for rotating my tires on the truck.

8. fatjack

fatjack LawnSite Member

I'll add my .02 to this one with a reminder that as you sharpen your blades... YOU MAKE THEM SHORTER!! We've had a few lively discussions here about this and some remained unconvinced.

Actually, sharpening doesn't make the actual length of the blade shorter, but it makes the cutting width of the blade shorter (the diagonal) until the blades no longer overlap and you get your uncut strip down the middle.

Ferris used to sell a "radius end" blade that addressed this issue and did NOT get shorter as it was sharpened, but I don't think they offer them anymore. Check with your dealer.

FJ

9. Gran Sport

Gran Sport LawnSite Member

Excellent excellent point!!!! So many guys out there sharpen and sharpen blades and think if they're sharp, everything is fine. NO TRUE! We sharpen blades twice and then throw away, for the simple fact stated above.

10. mr mow

Youd be surprised by how little it takes too! just like a deck out of adjustment...doesnt take much to show in your cutting. moral of the story, is when you sharpen your blade try to keep the blade edge as straight as possible...by focusing equally throughout the edge being sharpened(dont sharpen more on outside tip of blade as you do in the middle). sharpening too much on the inner edge and outside edge will cause that radius fatjack speaks of and will eventually lead to a short blade.