Ferris mowers IS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Jan 29, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I was thinking of buying a ferris this spring. I was wondering if anyone knows if the is (independent suspension) helps. And if you have aby complaints or recomendations? Thanks

I was looking at the 1000Z IS or 3000Z IS
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone on LS will tell you I am the biggest fan of Ferris mowers. We have been using them for 9 years now...extremely reliable machines (12+ WB's).

We just purchased a Z 3000IS this past Fall. Love the way it rides and holds a slope. Can email me at rspronck@aol.com if you have any additional questions.
  3. Ferris 3000 is a great machine.It great for slopes and hills.Plus the best ride in the business.The only downfall on the ferris is there not all that fast and hydro's are a bit stiff.But if you have any hills or slopes at all.Ferris is the way to go. Stay away from the 4000 series until later in the year
  4. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I havn't had a ferris ztr, but I have a Derby walk behind.( the exact same as ferris and they are cheaper) The derby is made by ferris as a residential customer grade mower. The thing is it's the same mower as the ferris as best I can tell. If you need a part for it, the ferris part is what you get when you order it from the company. There might be some differences but I havn't found any. Derby has the IS ztr also.

I would demo both of them and see if you see a difference before taking my word for it.
  5. While we are on the topic does anyone have anything to say about the is4000z i`m sorta lookin a t a new 72" . wonderin about this one?
  6. rodfather

I used one last summer for 2 days...can't remember what engine was on it? I think either a 27 or 29hp. It was water-cooled. Anyway, thing was real fast and really dispersed the clippings quite well I thought. I even tried it in a field that hadn't been cut that year but maybe once.

Believe the price tag was around 11K for the one I used. I recently bought the IS3000 with a 61" deck vs the 4000 with a 72" deck. I already own 3 72" machines (Toros) and needed a 61" mower more than another 72" one.

Hope that helps.
  7. thanks , i`m goin down to my exmark and ferris dealer on saturday to have a closer look .
  8. rodfather

Going to your eXmark dealer...glad I got to chime in about Ferris before 65hoss did about the other "red" machine...lol