Ferris mowers ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RICHIE K, Aug 8, 2005.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all I run with no problems. Rodfather will tell you the same.
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 belt drives, a 52" and a 36". The 52" has been in service since 2000 without many problems, the 36" since '02. I have had more trouble with the 15 hp Kawi on the 52" than the machine itself.
    Dealer service has been great, and as my older Scags are retired, I can salvage parts from them to the Ferris as many parts are interchangeable.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Ferris walk behind are one bad mother of a machine. I miss my 48" hydrowalk SD. That sucker was build heavy.
  5. rough cut

rough cut LawnSite Member

Walk or Zero?

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

both. Im thinking of changing from GRAVELY have been using same for years
    and been have some problems with them plus the closest dealers is 35 miles from me

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:
  7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris is pretty much all that is run here in STL (West county anyway)
    They seem to stripe exceptionally well without any rollers or the like.
    From what I have seen they are awesome on hills - up, down and across.
    They run a lower pressure Eaton pump(s) and all that I have watched are very smooth and reverse nicely.

If I were to buy another wb it would be a Ferris... I see everyday what they can do.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

We have no Ferris machines in this area. The lone dealer is about 50 miles away, and I'm not sure of Ferris presence in the local area.

But, his business burned to the ground yesterday:

I talked with the owner last Winter when looking at a new 1500 at a trade show. The TV cover of the story was sad tale, interviews with him, his wife, and the fire chief. The business is totalled. His business was not large, but I really liked him after a lengthy discussion at a slow point in the trade show. He really was a fan of Ferris equipment.

So, the little presence Ferris had in the region apparently is now gone.
  9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We used to run stricktly Ferris. We have 2 52" DD hydros that will out cut /stripe any w/b on the market (mho). We also have a 61" Z...it's ok. We have been slowly trading the Ferris stuff in on Standers or Sentars, but we will always have the DD's because of their awesome cut and manueverability. The one thing that the Ferris Z's have is the suspension system......way more comfortable than a regular z w/ a suspension seat.

10. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48'' belt drive and it cuts great, runs great, and stripes great.