Ferris Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SMOOTHCUT, Apr 28, 2006.

SMOOTHCUT LawnSite Member

Hi, I am new, this is my first time to post. I know a lot is said about ZTR brands. Could anyone please give me info on their experience with Ferris ZTRs. I am considering purchasing one to start a business. I have researched several brands and I'm sure they are all good. Very little is said on here about Ferris. Thank you all very much for your responses.
  2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own one - however, a close friend of mine has owned Ferris a number of years and he loves them. Last week, he purchased his third Ferris - a IS3100 w/72" deck and a 32 hp Big Block Vanguard. I cut one property with it and it is very nice. It surpasses my Kubota in comfort (only) with the IS - very comfortable and smooth. If I wasn't partial to the Kubota diesel engine, I would definately purchase a Ferris. Just my opinion............:usflag:
  3. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I purchased a 1500 52' 25hp. this year. So far i can't complain about it at all. Just yesteday i was cutting a hill that was not so smooth and had to make a turn up that hill and i could feel the machine flex to the ground and didn't spin one tire and right up the hill she went. The Scag i use to have last year spun on the turf in that same spot. Scag is also a great machine too. I think if you can find a good dealer close to you that's what counts, good service. All machine will brake at some time.
    Good luck.
  4. brudot

brudot LawnSite Member
    from CT

I don't have any experience with other ztr brands but I did buy a Ferris this year. So far it seems to be great. Good cut. Mine doesn't have the Independent Suspension and the comfort is ok for an old man like me if you don't go full speed on rough terrain. I'm not sure that I'm going to like changing the oil filter. It looks like a real "bear".
  5. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a 1500 with a 48" deck last april. it was the first mower i bought. had problems with deck dealer said it was bent and wasn't covered under warranty so i wrote ferris and the dealer worked on it and found a bent spindle. replaced it and charged me $141 it's working fine so far. i go thru pump belts every 100 hours. last time it was only 17 hours they have claimed warranty so far on the belts. the dealer told me the 1500 wasn't for commercial accounts and i should of bought a 3000 instead. were still using the ferris. this year i bought a walker mt20 with a 42" deck and a used 52" deck when the warranty runs out or i can sell the ferris i'll buy another walker for sure . my walker will out mow the ferris and do a better job at it.the walker turns a lot faster without tearing up the ground. good luck with whatever you buy. my ferris paid for it's self the first year. :usflag: :walking:
  6. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Ferris 1500 IS and I mow 40 yards with it. I think that the dealer that said that the Ferris 1500 is not for commercial accounts needs to look at the warranty. 2 Year commercial warranty.

BTW-I think my Ferris is a great machine.

I also use a Wright Sentar which I am field testing for Turf Mag, and it is also a good machine, especially on very steep hills. However the Ferris has a ride that is better than the Wright. They both have a good cut.

7. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris is top notch. I sold my Ferris walk behind and went with exmark both a WB and a Lazer Z. I'm going to sell my Lazer Z and get the Ferris IS3100 this year. I got a good quote for under $9000 on it but I need to sell my Exmark first.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've owned over 20 Ferris machines during the last 13 years. Extremely reliable machines and their independent suspension system cannot be beat. PM me with any specific questions you might have.

SMOOTHCUT LawnSite Member

I am looking at the 1500 IS 35hp-52" since it is affordable, would like the 3100 but can't spend that right now. Any bad points so far on the 1500? will it hold up just as well? Thanks
  10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

35hp on a 52"??????? I don't think so. I think you mean 25hp. I have had 8 ferris mowers over the last 8 years and I love them all. I run them like they're stolen (at least my helpers do) and they take it. I have on of the first IS machines ferris made and it is still making money.