Ferris Mowers??????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DillonsLawnCare, Jul 27, 2007.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

ive looked at the ferris ztr, and i have alot of bumpy terrain. does the suspension they offer on the mowers really work. and does it still leave a good cut? thanks

2. baelam

baelam LawnSite Member

I have a 1500zs and the suspension is good only at low speed. You will scalp the grass as the deck wiil bottom out when you hit the bumps. I t is nice for sitting on for a long time and the cut is good if the terrain is not to hilly or bumpy.

3. DillonsLawnCare

what kind of money did you pay for it? are you satisfied with the mower? what do you not like about it? thanks a bunch

4. baelam

baelam LawnSite Member

I paid $6000 for the mower and 1700 for the bagging system. Love the mower but not the bagging system. The bagging system weighs too much and causes an uneven cut if you set it to low, even when you set the suspension to the very stiff setting they recomend when using the bagging system. I am having a problem with the mower belt coming off if I set the deck lower than 2 1/2 inches. I do like the cut very much and the speed of the mower is great. Cut most of my mowing time in half when I got it.
    Overall, I'd say that I am pleased with the mower. I have the 48 inch deck. It comes with a 52 inch deck if you want one that big.

5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Dillons- I've got the IS2000 and love it. Especially on rough lawns. After having the suspension, I doubt I'd ever own a 'rigid' machine.

bailam- do you have the weight kit for your bagger? I dont have a bagger, but I was told it would help to keep things more level.

6. baelam

baelam LawnSite Member

It came with the weights for the front end and I haven't heard of anything else that goes with it. I have to agree with your thought that I wouldn't switch to another mower without the suspension.

7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

My Hydro 36 walker scalps the same with the bagger full hanging off the side. That machine has no suspension, so I thought of fabricating some kind of weight system for the other side, but then it would scalp the legt side when there is nothing in the bag.:dizzy: :dizzy:

8. DillonsLawnCare

ive got 18 accounts. i just got 10 in the last 2 weeks, business is really booming for me!! do you think i need a ztr? this walkbehind is getting the job done, its just wearing me out!! gimme your'e advice!!! thanks guys for the input!!

9. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it works, and it works at higher speeds also. I cannot image booking along wide open without the IS.

However, I do plan on buying a Kubota which does not have IS, and then I will have something to compare to.

But we mow wide open with it and it does work.

Tim

10. DillonsLawnCare

what kind of ferris should i get? 1500, 2000, or the 3100? how much are they???????????????????????? thankss