Ferris OEM Blades vs. Sunbelt Aftermarket

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sonnie Parker, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried the Sunbelt aftermarket blades on their Ferris mower and tested the quality and longevity vs the OEM blades?

We have found that the OEM Ferris blades seem to stay sharp longer than any other blades we have tried, which include the Gator Magnum G5 and G6 Fusion blades... and the medium lift and extreme high lift from Oregon (non-Fusion). We could not even get through an entire day of cutting with the non-Fusion blades. The OEM blades also cut the best.

The Ferris blades are expensive and we haven't found anywhere to buy them at what we consider a reasonable price. We can get the G6 blades for about $15 each shipped if we buy enough of them at one time, but it seems the Ferris blades are closer to $20 each.

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

They are a better blade. No question. Problem is the distribution. It's 2 step, so there's an extra hand in the pie.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Actually in some areas its not. May not be by you. They are made in New York and a few areas around there are direct with the factory. No distributor.

What blades are we talking about? As far as I know, there are no aftermarket blades for the ICD decks yet. And the ICD deck takes a different blade than the older decks....and if you put older style blades on an ICD deck it wont cut very well for some reason. So if you are buying aftermarket versions of the blades for the old style decks that is probably your problem.

The blades for the ICD decks are marbain or whatever like Scag has been using for years so that could be why the stay sharp longer for you.

4. Sonnie Parker

So I wonder if the Scag blades would work and are they cheaper than the Ferris blades.

The biggest difference I see in the Ferris blades is the width of the lift is wider than others... and of course they stay sharper longer.

5. Sonnie Parker

Looking at the Scag OEM blades, they all appear to be .203" thickness, while the Ferris blades are .250" thick.

6. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The Ferris blades are expensive and we haven't found anywhere to buy them at what we consider a reasonable price. We can get the G6 blades for about $15 each shipped if we buy enough of them at one time, but it seems the Ferris blades are closer to $20 each.[/QUOTE]

I got a set of 3 OEM Ferris blades (5020842) for $32.84 out the door!!!!!!!!!!! Thickness: 0.250 " Length: 21" Center Hole: 5/8"

7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I got a set of 3 OEM Ferris blades (5020842) for $32.84 out the door!!!!!!!!!!! Thickness: 0.250 " Length: 21" Center Hole: 5/8"[/QUOTE]

That's a good price. Where did you get them?

8. Sonnie Parker

Yeah... where? That is lower than dealer cost.

9. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Do I need to by a 100 set's or so and start selling them on ebay? The lawn mower shop got them at I said I need super hard blades like a G6 he said the ferris is good

For the price, you couldn't beat !

10. Sonnie Parker

I called them and they were pretty much clueless. They don't have them in stock and said they don't show them in the computer either... and will call me back if they can get them. It was a very strange conversation to say the least.

You must have gotten the only pair they had in stock... and perhaps they did not realize what they had because that price for 3 blades is unheard of.